Thursday, December 18, 2008

I Take the Checks and Face the Facts

In an attempt to embrace the all-encompassing commercial morass that is Christmas in the YEAR OF OUR LORD 2008, I'm bringing you my Top 5 Nike commercials OF...THE...PAST...YEAR.

Why aren't there any Reebok commercials on the list?

Well, because if you can name a good Reebok commercial, you're a better man, woman, or child than me.

Why aren't there any Adidas commercials?

Because I'm still angry about World War II.

Why are you asking needless rhetorical questions?

I don't know. Let's move on.

Without further ado...the Top 5, in no particular order.

"Take It to the Next Level"

It's directed by Guy Ritchie, the background music is provided by Eagles of Death Metal, and it features some of the European football clubs that I love to hate the most. Plus, who doesn't love a little projectile vomiting in their commercials?

"Leave Nothing"

A steroid-abusing protagonist in Shawn Merriman? Check. One of the league's most enigmatic performers in Steven Jackson? Check. A cut from the soundtrack for Last of the Mohicans? Check. What's not to love?

"Fate"

Call me a sucker for being pulled in by a video directed by David Fincher that features a remix of "Ecstasy of Gold" from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, but I'm a huge fan of the latest edition of Nike's "Leave Nothing" series.

"Courage"

Due to the affinity that I have for "All These Things I've Done", especially after it was played non-stop during Insanity for Humanity, I liked this spot from the first viewing, but if you're giving me shots of the Serengeti, Lance Armstrong-homage footage, and John McEnroe's frizzy afro? Well, that's solid gold, my friends.

"Candyman"

Perhaps if you've never held chalk, baby powder, or flour in your hands and felt its power, this commercial might not mean anything to you. If you have, though, and know that feeling of pure joy when the flour leaves your hands bound for some poor sap's face, you can relate to LeBron.

As always, dear readers, let me know where I've gone wrong with my picks.

P.S. Any blame for the idea of Top-5 lists should fall on this guy.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

That Merriman commercial gives me goosebumps every single time.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger IMV said...

Rockin' the Suburbs - Ben Folds

-Middleton

P.S. How long do we have to wait until we can officially begin lobbing barbs at each other over the battle for the top of the table?

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Cody Blair said...

this may be your best post ever. seriously, i love nike commercials. I wish I could have a continuous-playing loop of them running at all times, providing instantanious motivation/inspiration.

good stuff

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Josephus,

I do whatever I can to help.

John,

Congrats on the correct answer. I think we need to hold off on the top of the table barbs until at least the new year. I don't know about you, but I'm thoroughly excited about that Champions League Knockout Round draw tomorrow.

Cody,

High praise there, my friend. I'm not sure if any of these are better than Mars Blackmon's "It's Gotta Be the Shoes", but they're good nonetheless.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger lance said...

Great list, i recently came across a list of the 100 Greatest Sports Commercials Ever, and Nike accounted for probably 70 of them. I would cast a vote for the USA Redeem Team commercial with Marvin Gaye singing the natty anthem in the background. Classic.

Also, it's pretty new, but the Jumpman Football commercial is pretty sweet too, especially in light of all the BCS controversy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ZJHrmi2TE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home