Wednesday, November 1, 2006

Young Boy You Done Me Bad, So I Went and Did You Wrong

Joey had a great post yesterday about the great hype surrounding the "Will He or Won't He?" questions with Senator Barack Obama's possible run for President in 2008.

As I mentioned in a post earlier this week, I discovered the surprising world of podcasts available at the iTunes Music store, and lo and behold, Obama is the only politician that I have found with a podcast. As I have downloaded and listened to his keynote speech at the Sojourner's Call to Renewal, an interview he did with Tim Russert, and some of his thoughts on a responsible approach to rising energy costs, I am impressed with the depth of his intellect and his palpable authenticity.

The mere fact that he is the only U.S. Senator with a podcast shows that he is attuned to the rhythms of a younger generation. I think that he has the ability to energize young people and to perhaps restore the faith of the younger generations in the nobility of public service, but I say all of that with this caveat. He needs more time.

What I think we really need in America in almost everything is substance over style. I believe Obama has the substance and style to potentially be a great leader in this country, but he needs more time to develop his body of work and to learn how to navigate the treacherous waters of Washington. I still maintain that the likely Democratic nominees for President in 2012 are Obama and Eliot Spitzer, the likely future Governor of New York.


Barack, your time will come, I just don't think it's right now (or two years from now to be exact).

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 12:51 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

It's an interesting conundrum with Obama. I agree he probably needs some more time before before a run for president. But if he doesn't run now and a Democrat wins the presidency in '08, then there goes his chance in '12 more than likely. So it'd be 10 years before he has a realistic shot. If a Republican wins in '08, then it's not an issue.

The Democratic nomination for '08 is about as wide open as it gets right now. But who knows how many Democratic wonderboys challengers will rise from the riff-raff during the next 10 years. '08 could very well be the best shot for Obama. I'm not saying he should run, but I can see the temptation.

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Be Young (Is To Be Sad Is To Be High)
Ryan Adams

Now get to studying!

wjc

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

You know, I always wonder when "wjc" comments on these blogs. Is it the real wjc? Or is it some 1Q pretender?
I - Is it the real wjc?
R - If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.
A - The comments usually quack more like a goose, but am I waterfowl expert enough to draw so fine a distinction?
C - ??? Mr. Scott?

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Justin said...

I'm reallly not sure if it is the real wjc or an impostor. I would think that it would be pretty audacious for someone to simply go around signing comments with someone else's (well known) initials.

If it is the real wjc, +100 points for being a Ryan Adams fan. If it's an impostor, -100 for lying.

Either way, points are being given away like pogs at the end of my adolescence.

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Joel Weckerly said...

I've never liked Obama. His name sounds too much like Osama

 

Post a Comment

<< Home