Tuesday, October 24, 2006

And Life Barrels on Like a Runaway Train

My greatest thanks to Prof. CivPro for informing the class yesterday that it is okay to watch large amounts of television. He also informed us that he enjoys watching TV so much that he has actually purchased two DVRs. I'm pretty sure that if the guy who invented the DVR were in the room yesterday, Prof. CivPro would have acted like Chris Farley on "The Chris Farley Show" sketch with Paul McCartney.

"Remember the time, um, when you invented the DVR?"

"Yes, Prof. CivPro, I do."

"Man.....that was awesome."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
With all of that said, I have decided to become a regular viewer of two shows. I have not been a weekly devotee to any TV show since the first season of The O.C. (Say what you will, but that, my friends, was inspired television.) My two weekly shows now are Lost and The Office. At first glance, those appear to be very different ends of the TV spectrum. It's almost like the TV equivalent of eating Grape Nuts (ultimately satisfying, but a bit too crunchy and difficult to work through at times) on Wednesday nights and then on Thursday switching to eating Trix with the color change spoon (you all know you had one).

I probably should not be asking this question here as Finals loom over me like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man over New York, but are there any shows that I am really missing out on right now? I'm going to say that I'm only going to add two more shows at the most, so make your recommendations count.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:15 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

I have to go with Battlestar Galactica. Start from the beginning. It's an entertaining show with a lot of attractive people, but it also covers a LOT of social issues that are pretty interesting to people like you. These include the tension between government, morality, religion; friction between military force and diplomacy, what makes a person a person, and the word "frak."

The first two seasons are out on DVD, I'd check 'em out. The new season is dealing with terrorism, benevolent governments, etc.

It's on Sci-Fi.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Poseur said...

I'm disturbed by how much I enjoy Battlestar Gallactica. It's the most intense, fearless show on TV.

And this season has been ridiculously intense, what with the military occupation, concentration camps, suicide bombings, and midnight police raids.

Besides, any show that is fundamentally about genocide is always a pick-me-up.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

I'm also really enjoying Heroes. I'd check that one out, too.

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heroes, Heroes, & Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Some of the best television on right now - adding to the list you have. Heroes was listed twice because I am a huge nerd.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

My vote is for "Battlestar." It's the shit.

I gave up on "Heroes." It's the poor man's "Lost" in my opinion.

And though it's severely letting me down, "Studio 60" is still one of the better-written shows on TV.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home