Friday, October 20, 2006

Standing on the Corner of 6th and How to Forget?

In honor of Haiku Friday over on Osler's Razor, I have written my own. Feel free to submit your own. Remember, 5 beats for the first line, 7 for the second, 5 again for the third.

Kim Jong has crazy nukes
I miss you Doctor Strangelove
Livin' La Vida Loca now

Well, we are down now to the final two here on the Top 10 World Series of My Lifetime Countdown. Here goes nothing....

#2-1986 World Series-Boston Red Sox v. New York Mets

You knew this one was coming, didn't you? You were sure it would be in the Top-5, but you did not know how high it would rise. Well, there has been so much written and said about this series, I almost feel as though there is nothing new to contribute, but I wanted to share some little odds and ends that I have discovered recently regarding this Series.


  • Yesterday ESPN's Uni Watch put out a shocking story that further confirms that Billy Buck had no chance to scoop up Mookie's grounder. Don't believe me? Then what would you say if I told that Buckner was wearing a Cubs batting glove underneath his first baseman's mitt as he played in Game 6? It was too much karma for one human being to handle. He might as well have had Mookie Wilson poking a Bill Buckner voodoo doll as he stood in the on-deck circle.


  • Many of you might have already seen this, but Connor Lastowka managed to re-create the entire bottom of the 10th inning from Game 6 using the Nintendo game R.B.I Baseball. I'm not sure if this is one of the greatest things that I have ever seen or one of the most colossal wastes of time that I have ever seen, but there is one thing that I do know: I hope it was cathartic for Connor.
    Of course Buckner did not deserve half of the blame that was heaped on him. Calvin Schiraldi and Bob Stanley both deserve as much of the blame as Buckner, but unfortunately he was just the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time. Most people forget that Buckner's error was not the Series ending moment for the Sox, but it might as well have been. How can you expect a team that had not won a World Series in 68 years (at that point), to go out and give their best effort in Game 7? The doom of their chances was already foretold.

Check in tomorrow for Number 1 and feel free to offer your guesses as to who will stand in the top spot.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Since this list began, my money has been on the 2001 World Series between the Diamondbacks and Yankees for No. 1. Without any research of the remaining Series that took place before I started keeping up with baseball, I'm sticking with it. We shall see this weekend.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Chris Field said...

A classic sports moment to say the least.

Did you see Mookie at Game 7 last night?

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Chris, I didn't get to watch that much of the game on TV. I actually only saw the beginning and the end. There's this little thing called "finals" that they keep telling me is happening beginning in about a week, so the TV has fallen by the wayside. Mookie had to be there to see his son, Preston, play for the Cards.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

That haiku was 6-7-8. But way to be a rebel.

"Designs on You," Old 97's.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Dan, I would offer the explanation that I say words more quickly and thus they have fewer beats, but the more likely explanation is that I have the counting abilities of a young child.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Poseur said...

No matter what, your list is going to be short a great Series:

2001: D'backs upset the Yanks by getting a game winner off Mariano Rivera

1985: Royals beat Cardinals in the I-70 Series. The most controversial call in Series history: Denkinger blew it, the Royals win.

1987: Twins and the Cardinals play an epic 7 game series. No home team loses a game. Kirby Puckett hits out of his friggin' mind.

All three would be in my top five (the others being the 1986 Series and the 1993 Series)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home