Thursday, October 12, 2006

Soaking Up the City from a Top Step Perch

Congratulations to Dan Carlson for correctly naming "Rollerskate Skinny" by the Old 97's as the Thursday Song of the Day.

#10--1989 World Series--Oakland A's v. San Francisco Giants



I chose to put the 1989 World Series in the Top 10 largely because of what occurred off the field and not for the rather unremarkable on the field play. This series was a 4-0 sweep by the A's, but the 1989 World Series will always be remembered for the earthquake that occurred just minutes before Game 3 was about to begin at Candlestick Park.

The outcome of the series became the background story as the two teams from the San Francisco Bay Area had to wait as their region recovered from the worst earthquake in 83 years. I still remember being 5 years old and watching the coverage before the beginning of Game 3 and not quite being able to understand just how upredictable the world is.

Feel free to offer your thoughts on my selections, and be sure to check back tomorrow for #9.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger Joel Weckerly said...

I know it won't make your top 10, but I'm partial to the '90 Series -- when the A's got their a's handed to them by the Reds, baby!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Joel,

You are correct that the '90 Series will not make my Top 10, but I also remember watching that World Series with great satisfaction just because I disliked the A's so much. Well, as much dislike as a 6-year old can have.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home