Saturday, October 7, 2006

We Never Talk About the Future, Yeah, We Never Talk About the Past Anymore

My friends, the apocalypse must be nigh. The Whitehouse Wildcats are 2-0 in District 12-4A play after pummeling Jacksonville 38-0 last night. This victory comes a week after defeating Kilgore to open district play.

You might say, "Justin, don't you think it's a bit sad that you still keep up with your high school's football team?" Trust me, I'm maintaining a safe distance so I don't become Wooderson from Dazed and Confused.


In a slight digression, this is who Matthew McConaughey has become in real life. It was confirmed for me when an ABC sideline reporter was talking to him during the 2005 Rose Bowl as McConaughey was surrounded by UT cheerleaders. "That's the great thing about these high school girls: I keep getting older and they keep staying the same age." Again, I digress.

Back to the Wildcats. Perhaps if you are not from Texas, this might all be meaningless, and perhaps that is an indictment of Texas' obsession with high school football, but I remember when Jacksonville and Kilgore would just run roughshod over us. Whitehouse has made the playoffs once since 1979. In 1997, the Wildcats finished second in the district, to Jacksonville, and ended up losing in the second round of the playoffs to Little Cypress-Mauriceville.

If the 'Cats can make the playoffs this year, I might just be tempted to go to a game just so I can see what it is like for people like Heath who get to always watch Carroll play through November and December.

Quick Thoughts on a Saturday Morning

  • Is there anything more enjoyable than telling a Starbucks barista that you want a medium, followed by them asking "Do you mean a grande?", followed by you responding, "Yes, a medium, thanks."
  • Texas 27--OU 17. Peterson gets good yards, but the 'Horns defense bends and does not break.
  • Come join me on the Tigers bandwagon. Come on, they're playing the Yankees. You know you want to.


3 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I refuse to use the Starbucks size names, too.

Joey

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

I used to think McConaughey had become Wooderson, but then I realized it was bigger than that: He was always Wooderson. His breakout role wasn't acting, just the greatest bit of type casting in history. Seriously, check out his audition on the DVD. He's just some slacker in a Headbanger's Ball t-shirt. It's amazing.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Joel Weckerly said...

Go Cats, baby! Imagine if Danieal Manning had stayed one more year.

I agree with you and Halbert about Starbuck's. I feel like I'm a pawn for the system whenever I utter the word "Venti."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home