Friday, September 29, 2006

How I Hate Making Phone Calls, So I Lead a Lonely Life

My apologies for announcing yesterday that Dan Carlson named "Pancho and Lefty" by Townes Van Zandt/Willie Nelson as the Wednesday Song of the Day.

Do you remember what it was like when you found out that there was no Santa Claus? How about when you discovered that the Tooth Fairy was a big dental conspiracy? The Easter Bunny? A larger plot of deceit than the circumstances surrounding JFK's assassination. I had such a moment yesterday.

Someone told me to check out The Sports Guy's apperance on The Colbert Report. I thought to myself, "The Sports Guy and Colbert? This is going to be great. Two of the people whose humor I have enjoyed the most recently." You can view the segment here.

It was alright, but someone who commented on the video at You Tube nailed the problem: We're talking about two different forms of humor with Simmons and Colbert and those forms of humor do not always mix well. Both men are funny, but they operate in different styles. Picasso and Matisse if you will.
Simmons is accustomed to communicating his humor and ideas mainly through the form of writing, but Colbert is a verbal communicator. Also, Colbert's method is very different from most talk show hosts in that he plays the straight man and makes the guest uncomfortable unless the guest understands Colbert's style. I think Simmons understands Colbert's style, but he isn't comfortable with the "on-air" comedy at this point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home