Wednesday, October 4, 2006

Trying to Find a Way to Love, This Running Ain't No Kind of Freedom

As I sit here waiting for the Lost season premiere, it seems like the perfect time to give my thoughts on the Rangers firing Buck Showalter earlier today. My initial thought was that the Rangers are going to win the World Series next year. It sounds crazy but as the graphic in the ESPN shows, each team that Buck has previously managed has won the World Series in the year after his firing.

I guess if this theory really works, Buck should have an infinite work supply, albeit it with different teams each year. The Sports Guy would have to rename the Ewing Theory as the Showalter Theory.

I'm really not sure if the issue is with the players or with the management but as Andrew said in his comment something had to change. The Rangers have been on the playoff cusp for a few years now and I worry that we are missing our time window with Tex, Young, Hank, Matthews, Jr. and others. The issue in the past few years has been a lack of pitching, but as the Rangers have continued to gain pitching in the last year, I'm not sure if that issue can continue to be an excuse.

Again, I'm not sure if it's a simple as finding a new manager but apparently Tom Hicks and Jon Daniel think that is part of the solution. Some people say that hope springs eternal and a fan's hopes are highest on opening day when their team has the exact same record as every other team in the league, but my hopes are pretty high right now.

As I sit and watch a playoff field that includes the A's, Twins, Padres, and Tigers I cannot help but think that if these teams can make the playoffs, we can too.

I just saw the trailer for Flags of Our Fathers, and I have to say, it looks pretty darn good. It's probably the film I am the most excited about this fall, along with The Departed.

3 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger Joel Weckerly said...

I'm with you. Was it really Buck's fault that his front office wouldn't buy him arms?

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The eternal optimism of a Rangers fan...sad but cute.

The problem is that while the pitching in Arlington has improved, it hasn't improved to a level on par with event he mediocre playoff teams today. The A's have Zito/Street, the Twins have Santana (and for most of the year that Liriano dude), the Padres have Peavy/Hoffman. The Rangers had...oh, I guess noone that good.

While firing Showalter may improve team morale, it won't solve the problem they are facing. Many of their players this year are up for free agency, it will be interesting to see what they look like come Spring Training.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need your Waco address. Send it to kalumtuggle@hotmail.com.

Kalum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home