Thursday, October 5, 2006

Turnin' Every Good Thing to Rust, I Guess We'll Just Have to Adjust

Maybe I'll just compose all of my new posts while watching TV shows. Right now, I'm coming to you live from the Ingram household in Waco, TX while watching The Office. I'm not sure why I enjoy The Office so much, but it's probably because Michael Scott is probably a lot closer to many bosses in America than we would like to admit. It's also because he's my uncle.

I started reading My American Journey by Colin Powell again after finishing Bobos in Paradise last night. The book is a very interesting look at Powell's life from his birth in the Bronx to his time as Secretary of State. Throughout the book one theme has come through again and again. It's the same theme that I see each day as I walk up to the school.

When Baylor dedicated the new law school facility in 2001, they raised additional money for the school by allowing people to purchase "pavers" for the building's courtyard. The pavers have names of alumni inscribed and professors inscribed on them. Some of the pavers are dedicated to parents and others that helped graduates through a challenging period in their lives. One paver caught my eye on the first day that I walked into the school, and now I walk by that same spot each morning.

The paver says "Success is Directly Proportional to Effort-Brenner 2001". I have no idea who Brenner is and I will probably never know, but I take that message with me each day as I walk into the school for another day. I'm sure that this post might come across as overly dramatic, but I've always been drawn to the idea that once you reach a place where everyone is intelligent, everyone is driven, the level of success that you achieve is part of how hard you work.

I played football, basketball, and baseball as a child, but in the past few years I have been drawn to sports like cycling, running, and mountain climbing because so much of those activities has less to do with what your body can do and more with what is going on between your ears.

4 Comments:

At 9:19 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Wait, are you really related to that guy?

Oh yeah, and sorry I hijacked your post a couple of days ago. I didn't mean to.

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Chris,

#1: No, I'm not related to him. I'm a pathological liar.

#2: It's okay. I'm okay with that kind of hijacking. Airplanes? Not so much.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Patrick said...

On the first day of my international business class here in China, I talked to my students about the American Dream. One of the parts that I talked about was hard work. It is something that is deeply ingrained in myself also. I think that is why when I was 15 I bought "Fast and Easy Hungarian", when I was 17 I saved up 1/2 of the money for my car, why I worked two jobs and took 18 hours and went through pledging one semester, why I am attempting to learn Chinese, and why I want to work real hard in everything I do. The American Dream is in me.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Joel Weckerly said...

Are you trying to say I'm dumb as bricks if I still play pick-up basketball?

(said in the voice of Rob Schneider's character in Big Daddy: "You calling me a liar!?")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home