Friday, October 13, 2006

Searchin' For My Lost Shaker of Salt


As the Countdown rolls on, we have come to #9.....

2004 World Series--Boston Red Sox v. St. Louis Cardinals



Again, I selected this World Series for a spot in the Top 10 largely due to its historical significance. I'm pretty sure that the stretch from Game 4 of the ALCS to the final out of Game 4 in the World Series was about as much fun as you can have as a baseball fan, granted that you were cheering for the Red Sox. The Yankees? That's another story.

A slew of books were written about the triumph by the Sox, including works by Stephen King & Stewart O'Nan and Bill Simmons. The U.S. adaptation of Nick Hornby's Fever Pitch even centered around this World Series. Admittedly, there are some Red Sox fans who are still bitter that Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore were allowed on the Busch Stadium turf, but that's another story for another time. For goodness sake, Lost even used this World Series in its latest episode. The cultural relativity of this World Series might be the highest for any since I have been alive.

Here's what this World Series ultimately meant. You would no longer hear Red Sox fans walking around and saying things like, "The Red Sox killed my father, and now they're coming after me."

----------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to Abilene this afternoon for Homecoming Weekend, but I'll be sure to post #8 and #7 over the weekend.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the list bud. Actually I love all lists. This is actually a tough list to compile, but I'll check in by the end and let you know what I really think.

Austin

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Austin,

Your comments on the list are always welcome. Are you making the trip for Homecoming this year?

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Chris Field said...

Great list so far. The first two are also among my favorite memories. I am a little surprised that this is only #9 but I will wait until the end to see if I agree or not.

Study hard. And e-mail me your e-mail address:

christophercfield@yahoo.com

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Joel Weckerly said...

This needs to stay at 9. Reserve the top five for seven-game thrillers

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Joel Weckerly said...

jimmy buffett margaritaville?

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Chris Field said...

Joel - There are three spots between the top five and number nine, my friend.

Justin - I got your e-mail. Thanks. I'll e-mail you soon.

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, there is certainly a six-game series which belongs in the top five.

I love baseball, I love lists. I'm going to wait to see how this one plays oput and then add comments at the end.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Stephen,

I'm pretty sure I know which six-game series you are talking about, and yes, it is in the Top 5. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home