Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Here We Go, Life's Waiting to Begin

Congratulations to Mr. John Middleton for correctly naming "The Way" by Fastball as the Tuesday Song of the Day. I'm honestly shocked that I actually gave John credit for naming the song, seeing that he is a Chelsea FC supporter and all. Call it sympathy for the less fortunate among us.

Well, jury duty did not pan out quite the way I thought it would. Armed with my copy of Alexander Hamilton and a jury summons, I entered the Smith County Courthouse simply looking to use my student exemption and head back to the office to work on a motion for summary judgment. After a short amount of time shuffling through cattle-call lines and being seated, I was just as quickly excused due to my status as a law student.

I'm honestly a bit disappointed that I was not able to go further in the process, and as a person who will hopefully be a member of the Bar in a few years time, I don't expect to have too many more chances to serve on a jury with my peers. Alas, I will probably never be able to see the Rangers win the World Series in my lifetime. At least the sun was shining and I had Don Juan's for lunch. All in all, not a bad way to spend a day.

Also, on the "sports with sticks" front, the Anaheim "Once Mighty" Ducks won the Stanley Cup this evening with a 6-2 win over the Ottawa Senators. I'm pretty sure more people cheered for those whales to escape the Sacramento River Delta than followed the NHL Playoffs this year. Note to any NHL fans reading this blog (Blake Browder and Danny Echols, this means you): When ABC is in the business of airing the finals of the Scripps/Howard National Spelling Bee and your league's final series relegated to a network entitled Versus, you know your sport is sliding towards irrelevance faster than Sanjaya. I only tell the truth because I care.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

Angels & Airwaves--The Adventure.

The problem with hockey is that only Canadians (and Yee) care about it, but only teams from the America's sun belt can win the Stanley Cup.

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Yee said...

I admit that I didn't watch any hockey this year except for short bits and also, I went to 2 exhibition games at the beginning of the year. The strike killed the NHL but I have faith it will recover. Not with much help from me as long as the Ducks win over the Senators though. Not that I'm a huge Senators fan... I prefer the Maple Leafs, but I digress. I think the players hurt themselves more than helped and suck it up for awhile.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

Baseball shot itself in the foot with its strike of 1994, but at least it didn't cancel a whole dang season. And that was just a couple years after a lockout. Hockey needs another Wayne Gretzky.

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

I'll tell you what would make soccer interesting: One player per team per game is armed with a gun. Nothing huge, just a standard semi-automatic pistol. And it's never necessarily the same guy, though it can be the same guy up to 3 consecutive games. (Though he would then forfeit his next 2 turns in the cycle.) The armed players wouldn't even have to use the gun; the threat alone would often be enough. But there's always the possibility that David Beckham will, in a moment of red-card fury, blow the kneecaps off one of his opponents.

I would watch that all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home