Monday, June 4, 2007

Whatever Makes You Happy, Whatever You Want

Congratulations to Mr. Dan Carlson for correctly naming "Cannonball" by Damien Rice as the Thursday Song of the Day. Dan, I'm pretty sure that your statement regarding the boring nature of soccer would be echoed by a majority of Americans, and this is probably why the game has not truly caught on the states.


My Dad always asserts that soccer should remove the offsides penalty, and while this is a valid argument, I'm still a believer in giving the players sticks. If there's anything that watching a good game of lacrosse or a pinata accompanied birthday party tells us, it's that people loving watching objects (read humans) be beaten with sticks. Call it pedestrian, call it plebeian, but please don't call that boring.


I had a superb time on Saturday night at my buddy Brad's wedding, especially since the DJ at the wedding looked like a rapidly aging Slash of Guns and Roses fame, which is basically to say that he looked exactly like the real Slash. I'm not sure why a prim and proper East Texas matron picked a guy who looked like Slash to DJ her daughter's wedding reception, but I was pleased to say the least.

Somehow my family restrained me from walking up to the pseudo-Slash and requesting "Paradise City", "November Rain", or my personal favorite "Welcome to the Jungle". I'm pretty sure that "November Rain" would have been perfect fare for a wedding reception since the video also features a wedding. All we were missing was a windswept church and an epic guitar solo by the pseudo-Slash.


I'm looking forward to Lance and Kayla's wedding this weekend in Houston, but unless there's an 80's rock and roll look-a-like on the scene, I'm going to be sorely disappointed. Does anyone have Phil Collins' number?

3 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Cris said...

jts, i'm across the pond right now and had the privilege of watching england play brazil in a friendly soccer match (on tv) the night i arrived. although we both know where my loyalties lie, it was nevertheless fun to take part of the festivities in a place that loves the game so much. i thought of you, though, as the announcers mentioned a few of the players you write about sometimes. just wanted you to know!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Poseur said...

"Creep" by Radiohead.

Getting rid of offsides would encourage cherry-picking, which would kind of stink. Or it would encourage defenses to pack inside the box.

And given the droves of people not watching hockey, maybe hitting people with sticks doesn't work as a marketing gimmick.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

I know you're too cool for American soccer, but did you notice that FC Dallas is on top of the Western Conference? Why can Texas teams succeed at everything but baseball?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home