Sunday, May 20, 2007

Moving on Down the Street, I See People I Won't Ever Meet

One might think that Kenneth Affolter is going to suffer enough, but apparently The Hershey Co. does not agree. Mr. Affolter was recently sentenced to five years in prison for selling tasty pot infused treats with names like "Stoney Rancher", "Rasta Reese's", and "Keef Kat". After receiving his sentence, Affolter also received process papers notifying him that he was the defendant in a civil suit filed by Hershey alleging damages related to trademark infringement, trademark dilution, and unfair competition exceeding $100,000.

I could be wrong here, but I don't think that the Pennsylvania confectionery conglomerate was suffering that much from people confusing their usual Kit Kat with the ever alluring "Keef Kat". That's not to say that I don't sympathize with Hershey's position to a certain extent as well. Whatever happened to the good old days when your friendly neighborhood stoner would fix up a nice batch of pot brownies and the only person who got mad was Betty Crocker?

*Editorial Comment to any potential employers who might come across this post in the future in your travels across the information superhighway: I have never, do not currently, and do not ever plan to smoke marijuana, ganja, reefer, grass, pot, etc. I do listen to Phish and the Grateful Dead, but despite my affinity for these two bands, I'm still as clueless about the true meaning of 420 as everyone else. Unlike President Clinton, I've never even been closing to deciding whether or not to inhale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home