Thursday, June 28, 2007

If the Sun Does Shine or Rain Does Fall

Unless you've been living under the proverbial "Rock" during the last 5 months or working as the General Manager of the Boston Celtics*, you're probably aware that the highly anticipated iPhone goes on sale tomorrow, June 29th.

Since I do not have the requisite $500-$600 bones to throw down for the greatest status symbol since the slap bracelet, I guess I will resort to making a mockery of the legions of Apple devotees that are currently braving the fierce American summer simply to eat the scraps from Steve Jobs' table. Honestly, one of my favorite parts about the debut of the iPhone was the outrageous cries of joy that arose from those attending the unveiling. I'm pretty sure that if the Apple disciples were to pool their support, they could rival the ruffians depicted in Green Street Hooligans for pure menace and zealotry. There's nothing that gets me fired up like 35 year old men cheering about cellphones.


*I know I don't talk much about the NBA here, but I could not believe the trade that Danny Ainge pulled off on Thursday night. Ainge traded Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West, and #5 pick Jeff Green to the Seattle (once Super)Sonics for Ray Allen. Take a quick look at the following paragraph from the ESPN.com article detailing the trade and tell me if that's a guy that you want to acquire in a trade.

"Allen underwent surgery in April on both of his ankles. He called it a season in late March, unable to tolerate the pain in his left ankle as a result of inflammation from bone spurs. Statistically, it was the seven-time All-Star's finest season scoring, averaging 26.4 points per game, including a career-best 54-point performance against Utah in January. But the ankle and an early season foot injury limited Allen to just 55 games. "

I understand that the Celtics wanted to offload Wally's massive deal, but I cannot understand trading away a potentially strong role player in West and potential All-Star in Jeff Green to acquire an aging star with ankle injuries in a game that is notoriously hard on your ankles. Maybe I'm wrong about this whole thing, and maybe that's why I'm sitting here writing this blog while Danny Ainge collects a check from an NBA franchise.

I realize that the asterisk actually turned out to be longer than the actual body of the post itself. That's the equivalent of Led Zeppelin only playing "Immigrant Song" during the concert and "When the Levee Breaks" for the encore. I realize that I just made an esoteric Zeppelin reference in 2007, but I'm going with whatever pops into my mind.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Blogger Cody Blair said...

i think Simmons may have killed himself

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Mason said...

Pleasure and pain, by Ben Harper.

P.S.- Word is Zeppelin is reuniting for a world tour next year. They may have to prop them up at some point, however.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

1 - Kudos--that is the best anti-Apple comment I've ever heard.

2 - Good esoteric Led Zeppelin comment. The fact that you used "When the Levee Breaks" instead of "Whole Lotta Love" or "Stairway to Heaven" cements your real-thing reputation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home