Monday, May 7, 2007

Say That You'll Stay, Forever and a Day, In the Time of My Life

Congratulations to Mr. Mike May for correctly naming "Cigarette Smoke" by the Arctic Monkeys as the Thursday Song of the Day. Mike, I'm sorry for holding your day in the spotlight for a little while, but I decided that I needed a short weekend sabbatical from the blog in order to "refresh, reprepare, reread, and repent" in the words of Prof. CrimPro.

It was a good weekend with the boys down in the Hill Country at Lake Buchanan. You might think that I should have known that playing a game of soccer in Chacos would not be a good idea, but there I was, running up and down the pitch, wincing as I anticipated the pain that was to come. The team of Brandon Maenius, Luke Reeves, Jake Wardell, Bo Mechinus, and yours truly ended up losing to the squad of Lance Agan, Will Smyth, Jordan Gay, Garrett Oakley, Shane Spencer, and Nate Low by the score of 10-9. You'll notice that our team was only composed of 5 brave souls while our opponents had 6 players at their disposal. I'll let you decide who put forth the more valiant effort, and yes, I'm still bitter that we lost.

For the rant of the evening, I'm looking at corporate America nabbing one of my favorite songs and making it their own. When some marketing department decided to feature "All Around the World" by Oasis for its newest slate of commercials they committed a heinous act. Instead of making people think of BritPop genius, they think of Cingular merging with AT&T in some sort of bizarre corporate mating ritual, the likes of which have not been reached since Cadillac co-opted Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll." Here's a quick memo to advertising gurus: Feel free to use the work of SmashMouth, but think twice before you take valid rock and roll and use it to schill cell phones.

4 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have enough time to update your blog, but not answer your phone...that's a move vince mcmahon would pull

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Tim Henderson said...

Justin,

All songs will be sold out to coparate America, this is only the beginning of the what they will do to the music of your generation.

--jaded by the sell out of my generation

Tim

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Luke Reeves said...

I'm presently enjoying a brilliant song that (mark my words) will NEVER be heard in a commercial- The Holly and The Ivy, George Winston.

The flip-flop factor (Maenius) and the eleph-ankle enigma (Mechinus) weighed heavily in the loss.

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't Go Away by Oasis, from the album Be Here Now.

Joey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home