Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Piano Took Up the Living Room

I'm not sure if you remember my post on April 7th regarding the Tyler area news media's overreaction to the "crippling" April snowfall, but tonight might take the cake. It's probably because my family enjoys the show Lost a little too much, but I'm pretty sure that we reserved an extra measure of vitriol for a Tyler weatherman who decided to cut out large portions of the program describing the "life-threatening" thunderstorms that rolled through East Texas this evening. It wasn't enough to simply place the icon in the corner of the screen telling viewers the direction of the storm. No, the wonderful Mark Scirto had to continually zoom in and out with the radar like a stoned high-school student using Google Earth. Thanks Mark, thanks for nothing.

Today, I attended the sentencing hearings of three members of a multi-state methamphetamine ring that was busted last year by members of the FBI, ATF, and Tyler Police Department. What lesson did I learn? Well, let's just say that if you're going to sell drugs, make sure that you're not carrying a gun when you do so. If you do, you might end up with a sentence somewhere near 150 years. Yes, 150 years. Two of the defendants were sentenced to 152 years and the third was sentenced to 148 years. It's hard to feel sorry for someone who made the decision to engage in that kind of activity, but when you see someone react as they hear that they are going to spend the rest of their life in jail, a small part of you does ache for them. A small part.

Lastly, AC Milan trounced Manchester United 3-0 today at the San Siro to advance to the UEFA Champions League Final on May 23rd in Athens against Liverpool. You'll remember that this is a rematch of the legendary 2005 Champions League Final which saw Milan go up 3-0 in the first half, Liverpool claw back with 3 goals in 7 minutes in the second half, and a 3-2 victory in penalty kicks by Liverpool after a scoreless 30 minutes of extra time. I'm not sure if this year's match can live up to its predecessor but it should be great theater.

I know that I post a great number of YouTube videos, but today's is honestly one of the best that I've ever seen. It's probably the combination of Liverpool's victory, Gabriel Faure's "Pavane", and Des Lynam reciting Rudyard Kipling's "If". Give it a shot.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Luke Reeves said...

magnificent

 
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Patrick said...

To be honest, that was the first video I have watched in a long while. Thanks for sharing with me.
Two days ago I went to hang out with some expats on the other side of Wuhan at East Lake, the largest metropolitan lake in China. While we were there, I learned how to play cricket from an Aussie. There is something pure about the sport as he told me about it, and as I got to hear about the Cricket World Cup over the past few weeks. Of course there is some drama, but the players are revered in their countries for being excellent sportsmen on the field and excellent men off the field. It is, as my friend put it, a "Gentlemens' game." Who really wants a hero that takes drugs to better his performance?
I can't say that baseball is a gentlemen's game, nor are the Cowboys known for their off the field record (of course excluding Troy and Michael, and John Wetteland-- the bullpen sure could use him these days.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home