Monday, April 23, 2007

He Lives on a Star That's Dying in the Night

Congratulations to Mr. Cody Blair for correctly naming "Holiday in Spain" by Counting Crows as the Sunday Song of the Day.

As I was turning off the TV after eating dinner, I caught a quick statement by the anchor that Pulitzer Prize winning author and journalist David Halberstam was killed today in a car accident. I realize that Halberstam was 73, but I was really caught off-guard by the news of his death. It seemed that he possessed the rare ability to write lucidly and authoritatively on a number of diverse subjects such as the Vietnam War, professional basketball, the 50's, and a Red Sox/Yankees pennant race in 1949.

Halberstam won the Pulitzer Prize in 1964 at the age of 30 (Thirty! At 23, I need to get on and cracking) for his reporting on the early stages of the Vietnam War. I actually have his definitive basketball book, The Breaks of the Game, waiting on me at home, but reading it now is going to be a bit bittersweet.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Blogger Andrew Tuegel said...

In a Little While- U2. Also, Bono and the Edge are writing a Spiderman musical that will debut on broadway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home