Friday, March 23, 2007

When You're Back in Your Old Neighborhood...

I know that in yesterday's post, I said that the U2 songs were not going to be posted in any type of preferential order, but I should note that today's song is probably my favorite U2 song. I should note that for a long time, yesterday's song, "Running to Stand Still", occupied the top spot, but "Kite" from All That You Can't Leave Behind has risen (sorry, bad pun) to the #1 spot.

The circumstances of the concert at Slane Castle in August 2001 make this performance of "Kite" particularly special. You'll note that Bono tells a humorous story about his father and The Edge's father walking down Madison Avenue in New York singing a drunken duet and then he dedicates the song to his father, Bob Hewson.

What I didn't know until I did a little research is that Bono's father had been buried the day before the concert. You can see the memories welling up in his mind as he looks over at The Edge during his solo midway through the song. I'm also pretty sure that Bono belting out "I'm a man, I'm not a child, a Man who sees the shadow behind your eyes" might be the most powerful moment in their entire catalogue.

Well, I wrote all of that before I went to link to the video from YouTube and found that it had been removed from the site due to terms of use violations. In lieu of the video from the Slane Castle performance after Bob Hewson's death, I'll give you another performance of the song from a Chicago show during the Elevation Tour in 2001.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Misundertood" by Wilco, who I coincidentally learned today is coming out with a new album in May. Well played J.T., well played.

Courtney V.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home