Monday, December 11, 2006

A Walking Sleep and My Youth I Pray to Keep

Are the Rangers really about to sign Kenny Lofton? Did I fall into a Rip Van Winkle like slumber? What year is it? Can someone tell John Daniel that it's not 1995?

If the Rangers do sign Lofton, I'm going to be one of the first fans lining up for "Mid-90's Tribute Night" at the Ballpark next year. I would mandate that every player's at-bat music will either be "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden, "California Love" by Tupac and Dr. Dre, "Stay" by Lisa Loeb, "Mr. Jones" by the Counting Crows, or "MMMMMMMMMM" by the Crash Test Dummies. Fans will be required to come dressed as a character from Pulp Fiction, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, Air Force One, or Clueless.
That should be grand. I'm pretty sure we might see Mark Teixeira hit one through the Southwest Airlines Sign in center if he traded in "All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix for "Stay" by Loeb. Just a thought.

Also, it looks like the Rangers are going to sign former Dodgers closer, Eric Gagne.If there's one thing that I firmly believe, it's that you need more Canadians on your team. Especially Canadians who wear really intimidating glasses when they pitch. This one's for you Peter Jennings. Was that too soon?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 2:28 AM, Blogger Patrick said...

One benefit of having an actual friendship with you pre-blog, is that when I read your posts, I can hear your voice narrating them. You are hilarious, and I could just see you top this one off with a little smug head bobble or perhaps a caustic clap. Cheers.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Justin said...

V for Vendetta,

If you are hearing my voice in your head, perhaps you need to get back from China more quickly than we thought.

I can't wait to see you in about a month and half my friend.

ICB,

Justin

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

Hey now--Kenny Lofton led the AL in stolen bases every year from 1992-1996. Rickey Henderson, base-stealing grandmaster flash took the A's to the World Series in 1989 and to the playoffs just about every year there for awhile, and he took the Blue Jays to the World Series in 1993. But Lofton's got one up on Rickey--Lofton holds the record for most teams played for in the playoffs: 6. The stolen base is a forgotten art form. A good base thief will take teams into the nether regions of domination.

Oh--and I used to have a baseball card signed by either Eric Gagne or Greg Gagne. I can't remember which.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Masten,

I'm not debating that Kenny wasn't a prime leadoff man in his day, but that "day" was a decade ago, as your comment recognizes.

I hope he does great things for the Rangers this year, but it's hard to expect that much from him anymore.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

I think you're forgetting the Mets' string of World Series rings from the mid-1990s after they acquired an entire squad of just-weres.

Wait. You're right. Damn you foosball hooligan. I think you're really a Yankees fan in disguise.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Justin said...

I've been called many unkind things during my time on this planet, but "Yankee" fan?

That's a low-blow Masten, and I'm expecting a full apology from you whenever you see the error of your ways.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home