Thursday, December 7, 2006

I'm Not as Scared of Dying as I am of Growing Old

Congratulations to Ms. Heidi Hipp for correctly naming "Big Indian" by the Dandy Warhols as the Wednesday Song of the Day all the way from China. The combination of words in that previous sentence just gave me a mental image of Chairman Mao, Geronimo, and Andy Warhol sitting around talking about music. I have no idea what they would all listen to, but I would love to hear the conversation.
I'm pretty sure that I received a subtle sign during this past week that I might care about sports a little too much, specifically the Rangers. On Monday when I was checking the daily headlines on espn.com, I saw a story noting that Scott Boras and the Rangers were in talks about the club possibly signing free agent Barry Zito. It felt oddly similar to that feeling where the highly attractive girl suddenly notices you, and instead of you working up the courage to approach her, she suddenly decides to walk up to you. That seems like a great thing right?

Well, here's where sports and interactions between the sexes get complicated. I wake up the next day to a story that Boras is shopping Barry's wares to the Mets and Mariners as well. In other words, the dream girl has just walked over to the next guy and began to strike up a conversation very similar to the one that you just had with her and all you can do is either go over and interrupt them or adapt an air of indifference to the entire proceedings.

It's like Vince Vaughn said in Wedding Crashers,

"Janice, I apologize to you if I don't seem real eager to jump into a forced awkward intimate situation that people like to call dating. I don't like the feeling. You're sitting there, you're wondering do I have food on my face, am I eating, am I talking too much, are they talking enough, am I interested but I'm not really interested, or should I play like I'm interested, but I'm not that interested, but I think she might be interested but do I want to be interested, but now she's not interested? So all of the sudden I'm getting, I'm starting to get interested... And when am I supposed to kiss her?"

I'm not sure what the Rangers are going to do, but I'd love to see Barry in Arlington next year.

Posts like this remind me why I am single.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger Heath Huston said...

Mr. Maher Saab,

I was just wondering through your blog, and I clicked on your recent hits map. I was very astonished to find that you are an international superstar. I'm pretty sure the Norse don't know who the Ultimate Warrior is, but they do know who Justin Scott is. I want you to do a blog introducing your international readers because I want to know how the Eskimos are reading your blog.

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

glory and consequence. by ben harper and the innocent criminals. tuegel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home