Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Are You a Lucky Little Lady In the City of Light?

It was good to finally meet Stephen Baker, the man behind the scenes at Poseur, tonight at the flag football games. I would be interested to see just how many of us who are frequent bloggers here at BLS actually know each other or speak on a daily basis.

I've actually found that through these first two years some of my most frequent readers (if there are any such people) are people that I do not talk to on a daily basis, but who read this blog to keep up with what's going on in my small part of the world. I'm not sure what that means exactly for how the internet works to make the world a smaller place, but it was just a thought.

Current Reading

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bronx is Burning: 1977, Baseball, Politics, and the Battle for the Soul of a City by Jonathan Mahler

I've been thinking a great deal lately about what it means to be content with who you are and where you are. Part of me realizes that one of the secrets of life is learning to never be content, but to always be involved in the process of growing, learning, stretching, and moving towards these distant horizons where everything is going to fit together. I realize that this is the American in me.

The other part of me realizes that life is learning to be happy where you are right now. Because that's life. You are where you are. That seems incredibly simplistic, but I think it's true. Right here, right now is all that I have and I need to learn to be satisfied with where I am. If all my life is this constant yearning for a place that never actually comes, what kind of life is that? The secret is to savor the moments that I have been given today, for that is all I have.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger Poseur said...

Hey, nice to meet you, too. Sorry if I was a little short, meeting anyone while I'm officiating a flag football game is hardly the optimal condition to meet someone for the first time.

The BLS blog community strikes again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home