Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Guns Shot Above Our Heads and We Kissed as Though Nothing Could Fall

Congratulations to Jeff McCain and Dan Carlson. Jeff named "We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel as the Monday Song of the Day and Dan named "Save It for A Rainy Day" by the Jayhawks as the Tuesday Song of the Day. Also, because both comments yesterday (Dan's in particular) seemed to endorse "Dannastics" as the new nam for competitive cheerleading, I expect to see the new name go into effect immediately. So it has been said, so it must be done.

You probably remember that in my post arguing that Gary Matthews, Jr., deserved a AL Gold Glove for his outfield play this year, I closed the post with a hopeful acknowledgment that Gary would re-sign with the Rangers and spurn the Angels and other suitors. Well, even though you know it is a business, it still hurts just a little when you find out that a promising young star signs with a division rival. You can read about Gary's signing with the Angels here.

I'm finishing up On Paradise Drive by David Brooks and one of the book's main points seems to apply with my thoughts on the Rangers' off-season so far. Brooks argues that one of the defining characteristics of America is our national belief in the power of the future. We believe that just over the next horizon, beyond the next bend, after our next test, we will realize our potential as individuals and as a nation. I know that it is a bit of a stretch to apply this to a baseball team but here goes...

Even though the Rangers have lost two of their most promising young players early in the off-season, I am still hopeful that something good is going to happen in Arlington during the off-season and when the first pitch is fired next spring. Some may call it a helpless myopic view of the true state of reality, but I'm going to defer to Andy Dufresne on this one:

"There's a small place inside of us that they can never lock away, and that place is called hope."

Even though we are currently sitting in Shawshank, I am looking for Zihautanejo. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it is in my dreams.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

While I am surprised and a bit saddened by Matthews and DeRosa's departure, I wouldn't exactly call them young plaers. Matthews and Derosa are 32 and 31, respectively, and coming off career years to otherwise very average careers. I wouldn't have minded matching the Cubs 3 year/$13 million offer for DeRosa. But I'm not so sure about matching the Angel's 5 year/$50 million offer for Matthews. As much as I would have liked seeing him track down fly balls in the outfield for the next five years, I don't see him matching last year's output, and that doesn't make worth $10 million a year.

Two good guys and good players, though. I'm glad for them, and curious what the Rangers will do. My bet is just getting by in center field this year and making a run for Vernon Wells next year.

 
At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well the song is Heroes and there are several singers, but I am going to go with David Bowie. Hope that meets your expectations.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Joel Weckerly said...

Shawshank -- greatest movie ever, no matter what Carlson says

 

Post a Comment

<< Home