Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Hey Mister, Can You Tell Me Where a Man Might Find a Bed?

Congratulations to Dan Carlson for correctly naming "Werewolves of London" by Warron Zevon as the Tuesday Song of the Day. Because of Searcey's comment inquiring about the Song of the Day Contest, I thought I would take some time to explain how things work to some of my newer readers.

Everyday, I use song lyrics as the titles for my posts. As you read in the previous paragraph, the lyrics for yesterday's title were drawn from "Werewolves of London" by Warren Zevon. The first reader to leave a comment with the correct song title and artist/band gets a little (hey, it's not like it's the NY Times you're reading here) name recognition on the next day's post. I've altered the rules as of late to allow people who see me in passing to mention their answer verbally, although I do accept smoke signals. Either way, it's a little treat for those who read my often convoluted musings. (The recognition not the smoke signals).
In response to Tuegel's comment about Mark DeRosa signing with the Cubs, I will say this: I think the Rangers are going to miss DeRosa more than they know. He is one of those "glue guys" that you can plug in at multiple positions and expect him to perform at a very high level each and every day. I'm not sure who the Rangers are going to find to replace DeRosa, but players like that are vital to a team's potential success.

As the business of pro sports has caused salaries to shoot into the stratosphere, I rarely flinch anymore when I hear about the off-season payday parades for free agents, but I almost spit my Cheerios at the TV this morning when I saw that the Red Sox won the rights to negotiate with Daisuke Matsuzaka by bidding $51.1 million.

$51.1 million! That's just for the right to negotiate and is not even his contract!

Oh, by the way, his agent is Scott Boras. Theo Epstein is probably looking forward to these negotiations like members of the Jonestown Massacre looked forward to another glass of Kool-Aid. (Yes, I know that they all dead. Spare yourself the potential carpal tunnel syndrome.)

Random Question of the Day (Feel Free to Vote)

Which band's reputation is hurt the most by their song being used in a corporate commercial? (Also, I know that they agreed to give the company the rights. Again, save yourself the trouble).

  • The Band: "The Weight" in Cingular commercials
  • Led Zeppelin: "Rock and Roll" in Cadillac commercials.
  • Oasis: "All Around the World" in AT&T commercials.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to name the title of your song in your entry. Your so clever. Personally, I am a big fan of the cingular commercials that include "The Weight" by The Band

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

DeRosa's signing with the Cubs does make Hank Blalock's odds of staying better. But I will certainly miss his six-position ability.

And, judging by the Rangers' reported bid of $27 million to talk to Matsuzaka, Here's hoping that put that money and the money it would have taken to sign Matsuzaka ($40 million-$50 million) and go after Barry Zito.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

Led Zep. After all these years, why Cadillac? I think Stairway to Heaven for a Pinto or some other death machine would've been both humorous and appropriate.

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Chad Hutchins said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DeRosa's loss is a little bit offset by the return of the Cat (not the Big Cat, because that was a disaster). DeRosa probably had a better year last year, but it was arguably (like Matthews Jr.) a career year. Cat should be (and I stress should) more of a sure thing - career .299 hitter, I believe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home