Sunday, November 26, 2006

I Never Said Thank You for That, I Thought I Might Get One More Chance

Congratulations to Nina Patterson for correctly naming "Heroes" by David Bowie/The Wallflowers/Ewan McGregor/Nicole Kidman, etc., as the Wednesday Song of the Day.

My friends, I must apologize for the recent scarcity of posts. I realize that I could lean on the Thanksgiving holiday excuse as a crutch for not posting with my usual regularity, but I will not do that. You, the reader, deserve more from me and more I will deliver.

The Whitehouse Wildcats continue their dream run through the 4A Division II Playoffs. Their next opponent just happens to be the Waco High Lions. If you don't think that I will not use my current Waco citizenship to the utmost advantage in this situation, you must not know me very well. I plan on a covert and overt campaign of systematic intimidation and espionage against the Waco High coaching staff and players in order to gain the greatest advantage possible for the Wildcats. I'm sure that if this post is discovered by "the authorities", I might pay dearly for my devotion, but that's the price you pay for greatness.


Thanksgiving was excellent as usual although my family might be a bit unorthodox in our post-meal activities. I'm sure that many families go for post-meal walks in order to fight the effects of tryptophan, but a simple walk is just not good enough for our family. We had to go on a hike. When I say "hike", I mean whatever hiking is possible in the greater Waco metropolitan area. Also, we were wise enough to bring along my 81 year old grandma. Don't worry, she wanted to come. I don't think I'll be receiving any calls from elderly abuse centers in the near future, but if I do, I'm calling on the dream team of Prof. Contracts and Prof. PR to defend me.

On Friday, my sister and I went with our cousins to the UT v. A&M game in Austin. Yes, you might wonder why a student who graduated from ACU and now attends Baylor Law went to the UT v. A&M game clad in burnt orange. All I can tell you is that standing in Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium with "Texas Fight!" being sent back and forth between the stands is a special moment that I was thankful to participate in on Friday. Plus, it gives me some understanding of what it means to support a winning program. I know, I know. There is the eternal chicken/egg debate about whether proper fan support leads to winning or vice versa, but on this day, I simply wanted to spend time with family and to enjoy the Lone Star Showdown.

Classes start again tomorrow morning. Push on 'til the day...



Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 12:08 PM, Blogger Chris Field said...

You never said which program "won" that day :)

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

Enough with high school and college ball. How is my fantasy team doing? I've got a lot of time and money invested in the team, and I'd like to see some victories.

Considering pulling my funding,

Dan

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Cole: I'll pass that message along to Mr. Preast. I'm sure he'll be glad to hear from you.

Chris: Yes, the Ags won. There, are you happy?

Dan: I haven't been writing about Team Jodayyy lately because my level of personal investment in the team has dropped to an all-time low. I'll give you this little nugget as a snapshot of my personal awareness of my team: Yesterday, at about 11:30 before the games started and I could still make roster changes, I had this thought, "Hey, my starting quarterback suffered a season ending knee injury last week. I might want to think about finding a replacement." It's spiraling out of control right now and no one hears my cries of Mayday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home