Saturday, December 2, 2006

No Room for Both, Just Room for Me

How much fun is it to be a football fan? Well, like anything, it has its ups and downs.

Earlier today, I traveled to Dallas to watch my alma mater, the Whitehouse Wildcats, take on the Waco High Lions in the 4A Division II Region II Semifinals (I know, it's a mouthful). Let's just say that things did not go the Wildcats' way at John Kincaide Stadium today. After running back a fumble for a touchdown to open the game, the Wildcats did not even sniff the end zone for the rest of the game. The Lions ended up winning the game in a rout 42-7.

It's hard to find positives in a 42-7 loss, but for a team that was making its inaguaral appearance in the 3rd round of the playoffs, whatever experience you have is simply icing on the cake of an already fantastic season. It may seem odd for a young guy who is 4 years out of high school to drive 2 hours each way to watch his high school play, but I might be a much older man before I see the Wildcats this deep in the playoffs again.

This may be horrifying for my parents to read, but in the past week, I've made a big decision. Franklin Foer's How Soccer Explains the World has inspired my possible choices regarding my future. In the unforeseen chance that this whole law school thing does not work out, and there is no indication that it will not, I think I'm going to become a soccer hooligan.

In recent years I've become disturbed by the manufactured, canned experience that professional sports have become. When I watch soccer matches from other countries, I am enthralled by the constant singing, flag-waving, and chanting that fills the stadium. When I say I want to become a "hooligan", I don't mean that I want to always go around beating people over the head with lead pipes. That would only happen every other weekend.


Here's what I'm asking: I need suggestions about which team I should follow. Maybe it could be a team in the English Premier League? Perhaps the German Bundesliga? The Italian Serie A? Who knows, I could become the first ever hooligan for a MLS squad. I need to properly plan this thing so I can be ready to move when the opportunity present itself.

In the comments section, give me your suggestions and the reasons why I should choose your team. I'm thanking you in advance.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simmons did a column where he picked an English premiership team. You should consult it as a resource as it is very thorough. I personally root for Chelsea. Tuegel

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Tuegel,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have a personal rule against supporting teams owned by Russian oil magnates who have been accused of high crimes in their native countries. Call me crazy.

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What the heck kind of hooligan are you then, Mr. Morality???

Riot or die,
Halbert

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would tend to agree with the whole high crimes in Russia. But it seems to be in vogue. I mean even Putin is getting in on the act. Chelsea's owner was just before his time. Tuegel

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Mark Osler said...

How about being a table soccer hooligan? Only you have to be a fan of the Bates/Osler team.

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

"Don't Drink the Water," Dave Matthews Band. That's really all I can contribute to this conversation.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Prof. Osler,

Show me where to sign up. Oh, and just so I have something to do when I am not plotting attacks on the fans of lesser foosball squads, can I do research for you and Prof. Contracts?

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Heath Huston said...

Bayern Munchen- They aren't part of the super rich English Premiership, they play in probably the coolest city in the world, and they have a guy named Bastian Schweinsteinger on their team. You can't tell me you wouldn't love to beat somebody over the head with a pipe while yelling "Sweet Bastian Schweinsteiger."

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Mark Osler said...

When Bates was playing professional table soccer, Bastian Schweinsteinger carried Bates's foos around for him in a special pouch. For free. That's how you learn, padawan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home