Friday, December 1, 2006

They Call as They Beckon You On, They Said Start As You Mean to Go On

Congratulations to Dan Carlson for naming "Motorcycle Drive By", Third Eye Blind as the Thursday Song of the Day.

Well, this morning in Torts was interesting to say the least. As we were beginning our discussion of recklessness, Prof. Torts asked a question which I chose to answer. I'm not sure if answering was the best choice, because it seemed that Prof. Torts enjoyed my answer a bit too much, and he went off into an odd explanation of how couples begin to look and think alike after they have been together for a while, presumably thinking that since he agreed with my observation, we were somewhere close to an old married couple.

He recognized that things had gotten out of hand quickly and uttered the following line:

"I was trying to compliment you...next thing you know, I’m trying to mate with you." (Thanks to the Baylor Law School Circus for the exact quote)

There were a few troubling moments, but I think I found that Prof. Torts acted recklessly because he was subjectively aware of a serious risk of making an awkward comment in class and he choose to consciously disregard that risk and made that comment anyway. All in all, a great learning experience for everyone involved.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

It was your recklessly awkward conversation that inspired me to take Chicago on in the Battle of the Volunteers.

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Justin said...

I'm glad someone received some kind of benefit from that exchange.

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simple proof that it's never a good idea to volunteer to contribute to class discussion in law school.

Austin

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Henley,

Please quit lurking in the shadows my man. I'm not going to lie, I had forgotten about your former blogging prowess. Would it be so hard to bait Carlson every so often when he leaves comments here? Come on, I'm not asking much.

 
At 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have a part at the prof's house you better gaurd your drink before he puts something in it. You'll have more than torts to worry about then.

JRH

 
At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay. Tuegel

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger ALV said...

For your personal records: the full quote was "I was trying to complement you for your intelligent response, and the next thing you know I'm trying to mate with you."

My edited version was better though, I think - it adds a little extra to the squick factor. :)

(And if this message posted 3-4 times, it's Blogger's fault because of the weird issues with the word verification box not showing up at all. Stupid Blogger.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home