Friday, December 15, 2006

Life's For Livin', Yeah That's Our Philosophy

Well, some of you might not approve of what I am about to do, but I'll justify it with this: the man brought me into the world and he can take me out. You'll notice that my Dad did not nail yesterday's Song of the Day by naming "A Day in the Life" by the Beatles, but he did name the correct album "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". He's my Dad, he gets some slack. The rest of you will be held to a more stringent standard.

A few things on a Friday night:

  • My good friend Mason Orr is trying to start up his blog again. Go check out his thoughts on "Friday Night Lights". If anyone could have a good conversation with The Undertaker and Thomas Friedman, I think it would be Mason. With that said, go read his blog.
  • Nothing like a little Sports Guy Mailbag to take you into the weekend.
  • Current Reading: Fargo Rock City: A Heavy Metal Odyssey in Rural North Dakota by Chuck Klosterman

As I sit here composing this post for you, the loyal reader, it's hard not to reflect on how much has changed in my life in the past year. Last December, if I wanted to see the majority of my closest friends, all it took was a quick 5 minute drive in the car or a walk across campus. Now, it's not so easy to get to places like Nashville or Wuhan. Sure, I'm in the same state as Dallas, Belton, Graham, Corpus Christi, Austin, and Abilene, but at times we seem light years apart.

Part of life is losing things. That seems like an awfully pessimistic thing to say, but ultimately I think it's true. Life is this continual cycle of growth and death, this process of gaining new experiences and watching as older ones fade into the recesses of memory. The secret is holding on to the things that you never want to recede into the background.

Who are the people that mean something to you? Give one of them a call.

I know that I have had to consciously commit myself to keeping in touch with my friends from ACU whether that is via the phone, email, Facebook, or other methods of communication. Building and maintaining these lifelong relationships and friendships does not just happen. It takes constant work and attention and maybe the sacrifice of one person who is willing to continually work at keeping things alive until the process begins to gel and formalize.

I know that this post might come across a bit of overwrought, emotionally charged rhetoric, but as I have had to adjust to a very different type of life in the past few months, it has really became apparent to me that my friends and family are part of my life-blood.

Well, I've written a novella here and probably few of you have seen it to its long-awaited conclusion. Again, thanks for reading and I'll see you tomorrow.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger Mason said...

Thanks for the shout out. Did you read Klosterman's backhanded promo for the ESPN Ali Rap special? So great. If he focused squarley on sports I think he'd be on par with anybody.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

"In the Summertime," Mungo Jerry.

Klosterman is annoyingly good at what he does. His monthly columns are usually among the best things Esquire has to offer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home