Saturday, December 16, 2006

Let Me Run With You Tonight, I'll Take You On a Moonlight Ride

Congratulations to Dan Carlson for correctly naming "In the Summertime" by Mungo Jerry as the Friday Song of the Day.



Here's just a short section from Fargo Rock City that sums up why Chuck Klosterman is on my short list of favorite authors.


"Record reviewers spend way too much time analyzing albums in their entirety; this is because most rock writers have a problem--they like music way too much, often to the point of idiocy. It's very common to see an album panned because 'there's not much beyond the single.' I don't think that kind of logic matters. For example, Tubthumping by Chumbawumba has proven to be a more important album than Bob Dylan's Grammy Award-winning Time Out of Mind, simply because Chumbawumba's disc offered one great song that defined the moment of its popularity. I don't think there's any question about which of those two LPs will be more fun to find in a jukebox twenty years from now."

One of the fun questions to throw out to people is if you could invite 3 people to have dinner with, who would you pick? There's many variations on this question, such as historical figures, actors, athletes, etc. I'm going to offer my own twist on this question.


If you could sit down for a meal with any three living authors, who would you pick?


I'm going to go with Chuck Klosterman, Bill Simmons, and Malcolm Gladwell. My apologies to Dave Eggers and David Brooks who were close runners-up for the coveted spots.


So, who's coming to dinner with you?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, it has to be Robin Cooper (author of "The Timewaster Letters", John Mutsby (author of "Colin McRelf Takes to The Sky) and Kevin Algients (author of "Two Halves make a Hole"). Three weirdoes, I know...but it would be a weird dinner party. Enough Said. Mike

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Jonathan said...

My favorite Bill Simmons excerpt of the day, from his mailbag columns:

Q: I'm kinda confused as to who's country this is?
--Doug Downing, S.D.

SG: This is ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur country!

This is ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur country!

This is ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur country!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

"You Don't Know How It Feels," Tom Petty.

I'd go with David Foster Wallace, Chuck Klosterman, and Jenna Jameson. Best dinner ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home