Friday, November 3, 2006

Now That I'm Older, My Heart is Colder, I Can't See That It's a Lie

Congrats again to the WJC for correctly naming "Scarlet Begonias" by the Grateful Dead as the Thursday Song of the Day.

Editorial Note: The following post is being written after I got out of a 4 hour and 15 minute Civ. Pro. final an hour and a half ago. Any flubs or writing errors should be taken in stride. With that said...

I received the following comment on yesterday's post courtesy of Mr. Andrew Tuegel.

"Can you comment on Gary Matthews Jr. not winning a Gold Glove. How wrong is this? Slightly wrong? Really Wrong? Genocide Wrong? Please express."


Before I receive outraged comments on how could this Tuegel guy be so insensitive as to compare baseball to genocide, please relax folks. Count to 10, punch a pillow, sing an "I'm angry at men" Alanis Morrissette song, and then come back to us. Thanks.

Oh, I see that you're back. Well, I can say that I am disappointed that GMJ (I can call him that. We're close personal friends) did not win one of the three AL outfield Gold Gloves. They give out Gold Gloves for outfielders in a manner very similar to the way they conduct All-Star voting. The awards and starting spots in the All-Star game go to the Top 3 outfielders regardless of position. The winners this year in the AL were Torii Hunter (a centerfielder), Ichiro ( a rightfielder), and Vernon Wells (another centerfielder).

Now, I may take some flack for this next statement, but in my opinion, each team should put their best outfielder in center. I know that there are some great right and leftfielders, but the truly great ones have always been in center. Much like a great free safety, a great centerfielder knows how to play in space and cover more than their fair share of ground on the field. With that said, it would have been difficult for voters to give all 3 AL Outfield Gold Gloves to centerfielders and I guess they thought that GMJ was not deserving this year. I beg to differ.
If GMJ should have jumped anyone in the voting, it should have been Hunter. In my opinion, Torii Hunter is the Roy Williams (Dallas Cowboys version) of Major League Baseball. Sometimes they make the spectacular play, and then sometimes they simply let you down because they were looking to make the big play. Hunter's back-breaking error when he was diving for a fly ball that he clearly could not get into during the Division Series with the A's this year is a prime example.

Matthews makes your highlight reel plays that are going to show up on Sportscenter the next morning, but he also makes the routine plays, and goodness knows that Rangers pitching gives up their share of deep fly balls. GMJ, it should have been you this year my friend. Now, after I've been nice, don't go and break our hearts by signing with the Angels. Deal? Deal.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Wake Up" by the Arcade Fire.

You're done studying.

wjc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home