Friday, May 26, 2006

Could You Make It Shallow So That I Can Feel the Rain?

Congratulations to Dan Carlson for correctly naming "Babylon" by David Gray as the Wednesday Song of the Day.

Well, the journey continues today from Clayton, New Mexico to Colorado Springs. We should be arriving "the Springs" sometime in the early to mid-afternoon where we will meet up with the rest of the Trek staff. I am glad that I spent last summer in Abilene participating in the internship but it is very good to be heading back to the mountains for the summer.

Current Reading: Hell or High Water: Surviving Tibet's Tsangpo River by Peter Heller.

I wanted to finish up Guns, Germs, and Steel before I left for the summer and began Heller's book yesterday morning. I'm not sure if I take comfort in the fact that the level of wilderness that I will be experiencing this summer does not begin to compare to the experiences that Heller chronicles as he follows the exploits of the first descent of the Tsangpo gorge, but I know that it makes for good reading. Some adventure buffs have called the descent of the Tsangpo the world's last great adventure challenge. That point is debateable but the magnitude of the achievement that Heller details is not.

"I had just committed to going into the Tsangpo Gorge. For up to 50 days. I wasn't sure of anything-of myself of Lindgren (the expedition leader)-but I knew this: Once you commit to something risky and bold, life unfolds with increasing richness and wonder."--Peter Heller

I'm not sure when I will be able to write again but definitely look for another post next weekend talking about my first week out on trail with the rest of the Trek staff. Until then...

4 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Gravedigger" by Dave Matthews

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and have a great time this summer. Enjoy the peacefulness before fall starts!

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Comments above)
-BenG

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Blessings on your time with the other staff, J Scott. And great picture there, by the way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home