Thursday, May 11, 2006

I Can See a Traffic Jam Straight Up Ahead

Around ACU, it's kind of difficult to ignore tradition, especially during the University's Centennial Celebration. Today as I walked across campus, I am surrounded by tents being set up for tomorrow night's Graduation Celebration and Festival. If I didn't know what was being planned, I would almost think that they were setting up for a rock concert on the Mall between the Campus Center and Moody.

Being a first-generation ACU student, it was an interesting transition into the world of Welcome Week, Homecoming, and Sing Song. Numerous people on campus come from families where going to ACU has been a family practice for multiple generations. Perhaps I have a different perspective on the choice of where to attend college because my parents never pushed any particular collegiate affiliation while I was in my formative years. Unlike some, I didn't come out of the womb practicing my Sing Song face. My family doesn't have its name on any buildings and my parents didn't push me to join any particular social club on campus.
I'm sure that those with long family histories at ACU have had wonderful experiences here, but I think my experience as a first-generation Wildcat has been an incredible one. 4 years after deciding to come West, I leave here as a different person than the 18-year old who moved into Room 206 in Mabee Hall. I'm leaving one of the crucible periods of my life and I cannot wait to see what is next.

1 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

It's gonna be fun to see what the next few years hold, J Scott. Blessings on the next couple of days with family and friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home