Saturday, April 29, 2006

To Watch a Man With a Face Like Mine

Congratulations to Mr. Ben Grant for naming "Yellow Ledbetter" by Pearl Jam as the Thursday. Ben, I'm sorry, but Thursday was not one of the days where the contest yields another Harley-Davidson. Hold your head high though, you never know what's coming around the bend.

Even though I am but one of many pundits today on this subject, I had to weigh in on the Texans' decision in the NFL Draft. One day, how would you like to be known as the GM who passed on Reggie Bush, Vince Young, and Matt Leinart in order to pick Mario Williams? Williams may turn out to be a great player, but even the selection of D'Brickashaw Ferguson as a protector for David Carr would have made more sense than the selection of Williams.

This may not turn out to be a Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan moment, but it could take on a Darko over Dwyane Wade/Carmelo Anthony appearance. Looking back over the years, it seems that drafting players is such a shot in the dark anyway, and it seems that most of the players who do well in the realm of professional sports were those who did well in college and not those who draft stock rise simply because of outstanding workouts or individual tryouts. I have to agree with Chuck Klosterman, when he wrote yesterday that NFL teams just think too much about things before they make their decision and end up psyching themselves out of the "right" pick.

2 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

J Scott-

I'm with you on this, bro. Mario Williams is pretty unproven and I think it is crazy that they passed on Reggie Bush. I don't understand why they didn't at least draft Bush and then trade him for 2-3 veterans. Not what I would do, but it seems way better than taking Mario that ain't that great.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Joel Weckerly said...

I may be crazy but I'm with Chuck Casserly on this one... Super Mario is going to be a freak in that 4-3 defense for sure, and they have a solid back in Domanick Davis who would be a stud if his O-line were worth a darn. (I know, I know, Barry never used that as an excuse). The Texans' D will be salty in '06, though, mark it down J-Scott.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home