Friday, April 21, 2006

Zero Hour Nine A.M.

Congratulations to Mr. David Sessions for correctly naming "Strawberry Fields Forever" by the Beatles as the Thursday Song of the Day. Dave, it is good to know that you are still a purist about the Song Title Contest. If the rest of you simply resort to Google in order to get ahead, shame on you. Welcome to becoming Barry Bonds you cheaters. Sorry, that was too much. I'll move on.

I ran across this piece in the NY Times today about property taxes, which would not normally catch my attention, but the people not paying the taxes are a very interesting group.
Last year my Dad and I read Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer which talks about the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and their fascinating subculture. Now, they have reappeared on my radar after becoming involved in a dispute with the Utah State Government over the payment of property taxes.

The most interesting aspect of Krakauer's book in my mind is his ability to make me step back and look at my own beliefs and the way that those beliefs and practices might be perceived by the society that I live in. I know that when I read about the practice of polygamy by the F.L.D.S., I am shocked that such a practice continues in America, but I am also curious about a culture of belief that draws people in so strongly that they are willing to lead lives that strike us as incredibly anachronistic.

3 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger Stacey said...

Justin-

I enjoyed catching up with you the other night in the library. I have a great deal of respect for you and I am excited to see where law school leads you. Congrats again on Baylor.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Rocketman" -Elton John
Also not googled!
-BenG

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

anachronistic- "one that is chronologically out of place". Thanks for the new word. I never heard it before. I guess I should expect more of this from you over the next 3 years! Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home