Friday, April 14, 2006

Pull Me Out of the Aircrash

I'm not sure when it dawned on me but I think that Wal-Mart makes me ill. I'm not talking about ill in the Beastie Boys sense of the word, but it actually makes me a little bit nauseous.

Perhaps I am bothered by the fact that I can now walk into the store, find the precious items that I need, pay at a self-checkout station, and then leave the store without ever talking to a human. Some may think that such a situation is positively sublime, but something about it seems wrong to me.

Maybe it is the Orwellian image of people walking around a giant warehouse filled with the latest items from Great Value (quite an oxymoron in my opinion) while cameras watch overhead that does not sit well with me. I'm not quite sure what it is, but the beast that Sam Walton created is headed after all of us.

2 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a Target fan myself. Must less hectic.
-Ben G
p.s. - congrats on Baylor btw.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Patrick said...

Then add to the mix of things- "Always low prices. Always." My concern, is to what cost are we getting a toothbrush $0.30 cheaper than anywhere on the planet-- if it is at the expense of some day laborer in the Phillipines, I would rather spend the extra dough to know I wasn't exploiting some human soul to fight placque build up. Plus, I hate their fruit and fresh produce--it sucks.

Vive la Central Market, (HEB)!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home