Thursday, December 8, 2005

The Sun Always Comes Up Much Too Soon

I do not anticipate that this will be lengthy post, but I wanted to write tonight to tell an interesting story. Perhaps it is not that interesting, but this is my space, and therefore, it will receive treatment here. Any references to another form of online journal writing in the previous sentence were completely unintended.

Anywho, today as I sold back my textbooks at the Campus Store, I completed a ritual that has become commonplace at the end of each semester. After I receive the money for re-selling my textbooks, I immediately take that money to look for books that I have been wanting to read that are being sold in the Campus Store. I know, some of you may find it sick, twisted, or simply sad that I would take money that I had just received from buying books to simply buy more books (Although it should be noted that the books I intend to buy are much more interesting than the books that I have just sold back. Otherwise, I would not have sold the books back in the first place, but I digress). I take immense joy in the process though.
A few days ago I was reading a segment on The Sports Guy's page where he talked about his interactions with some of his readers who have a desire to one day enter a career as sportswriters. Bill said that he will always ask these readers what their favorite sports book are or who their favorite sports writers are. More often than not, he will receive blank stares in response to these questions. He quickly reminds these readers that if they want to one day become great writers they have to often begin as great readers.

Otherwise, they will not develop a true sense of what it takes to draw readers into a story. I know that my writing in this space has been shaped and molded by each and every one of the authors that I have read despite the fact that I could probably not tell you which writer inspired each phrase or method that I use to communicate.

I do know that each and every book that I read does have an impact on the way that I write and hopefully the more books that I read, I will develop a deeper sense of what it takes to connect with an audience. A format such as this presents an interesting opening opportunity for my writing career. There is no editorial staff, no dictated agenda as to content, and no financial pitfalls in terms of losing advertisers for columns that do not connect with some members of my audience. It will be interesting to see how the rise of "Blogging" will affect the writers of my generation and what an audience made up of people raised in a world influenced by the New Media will look like. I do not have an answers in this column, but the questions are fun to ponder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home