Friday, December 9, 2005

The Road is a Pinstripe Watson Fan

I forgot to post earlier on a comment that I received on yesterday's post pertaining to the trade that the Rangers participated in involving Alfonso Soriano. Andrew's statement that the Rangers have signed more offense when they desperately needed more pitching could not be more true.

I hope that the Rangers management is cautious this offseason and does not place a huge burden on the franchise by overspending on a pitcher like I believe the Blue Jays did yesterday by dishing out $55 million to A.J. Burnett. If I were to be reasonable, dishing out $55 million dollars to anyone on earth for anything is way too much. If someone is receiving that much money they should probably be feeding the homeless, doing emergency surgery on small children who come from disadvantaged backgrounds, hitting .460 each season with 89 homeruns, and pitching a perfect game on each outing, but maybe my expectations are too high.

If the Jon Daniel era is going to be much like the John Hart era with a seeming allergic reaction to any pitcher with a number below 4.00 in the ERA department, I think Ranger fans should settle in for a few more long years filled with long games and longer offseasons. But then again, maybe this is all the beginning of Daniel's masterplan and I have already succumbed to the cynicism that comes from supporting the boys in Arlington. Now I know what it once felt like to live in Boston.

1 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin,
The Rangers made out like complete bandits in this trade. Couldnt be happier. Jon Daniels understands that getting pitching just for pitching's sake is stupid. People overvalued what Soriano could actually bring. I would have thought it a steal to get just Brad Wilkerson for Sori straight-up. If youre a card carrying memeber of Moneyball University like me, you love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home