Saturday, December 10, 2005

Everywhere You Go You Shout It


I just got back from Syriana with the mother. I'm pretty sure that I have not seen a movie so well written or constructed in a long while. That also might be a nice way of saying that some people, including some of you out there, might not enjoy this movie for exactly those reasons. In order to enjoy the film, the viewer must actively participate in a weaving together a number of seemingly disparate storylines into a relevant whole. It would also help to have a rudimentary understanding of the current political happenings in the Middle East, the growth of the Chinese economy, and the cozy relationship between Washington and the oil fields of the Middle East. All in all, one of the most intriguing and thought-provoking movies that I have ever seen.

4 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Original of the Species" from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb by U2. I saw Syriana last night and really enjoyed it as well.

 
At 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew

 
At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Justin, Syriana, while slightly interesting and definitely well written, was one of the most boring films of '05 hands down. Right behind The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and The Constant Gardener (also why do all political movies lately have to be slow and artsy?). At the very end I felt a little better about it than throughout the entire movie but I thought it couldve been told in about half the time. Good news is weve got King Kong, Dick and Jane and The New World to look forward to this December...

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

Dick and Jane to look forward to?

Dick and Jane to look forward to?

Dick and Jane to look forward to?

I can't wrap my head around that. It's like I get almost all the way around it, like I can just barely comprehend it, and then my nervous system shuts down.

Syriana and The Constant Gardener weren't good films, they were great ones. They're two small examples of what can actually happen when you make a movie that's different from everything else out there. How the f*** is Hitchhiker's Guide even in the same league?

I'm looking forward to The New World as well; I'm hoping that Terrence Malick can compensate for casting Colin Farrell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home