Friday, April 1, 2005

So It Is, Just Like You Said It Would Be

I was just looking through the news this morning on the Washington Post website when I came across this disturbing story. The comedian Mitch Hedberg died yesterday. Here is the article. For some reason, his death makes me feel old. I realize that he is not the icon that someone like Belushi or Farley was, but when people that make you laugh pass on, the world is darker place for their absence.

GSP Formal should be a lot of fun this weekend. I am sure that you could just lock all of us in a room together with nothing to do and we would have a great time, but throw in girls, entertainment, and food and all rules are off. Jordan Gay (J-Straight) has done a lot of good work putting the event together and it will be great.

Current Listening: "Songs about Jane" by Maroon 5.

I enjoy having this avenue to express my ideas and thoughts, but sometimes it is difficult to get on here and write. Sometimes when I sit down to write, it almost feels like a duty instead of a joy, but as I persist and work through my thoughts I find points of light. The joy comes in breaking through what I once thought to be mundane and seeing the sublime. It always seems that there are these threads running through posts even if they form without my conscious will.

One of the things I have been thinking about a lot this semester is the fabric that everything is tied together by in this world. As I look at my life, it seems that what truly matters converges on two points: love and self-denial. The point that I have been working through and struggling with through college has been this idea of emptying myself and being filled with something else, something that is higher than what I am capable of, something that can love more than I could ever hope to love. It is John 3:30, when John the Baptist says, "he must become greater and I must become less." This idea is almost tantamount to Zen philosophy in that you find true peace when you no longer care for your own desires or whims, and instead only see the needs of others. I don't want to sound like a martyr, but when I look around the world, the truly beautiful things are done by people who completely step out of the way.

1 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

Yeah, I was sad when I found out Mitch Hedberg OD'd on heroin. He was really funny.

["The Blower's Daughter," Damien Rice]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home