Thursday, March 24, 2005

In Your Love My Salvation Lies

I have written before about what a blessing the group that I meet with on Friday mornings is, but today was just another drop in the bucket of wisdom and strength that I have received from those guys. We met today because of tomorrow's holiday on Good Friday, and I think we had one of our most thought provoking discussions.

Luke (not the disciple, Reeves) talked about how he has this desire for greater intimacy with God, but he is not sure how that is achieved, and sometimes it seems as though you have to go through some difficult, trying circumstances in order to find an authentic, intimate relationship with God. Luke wondered aloud if he is really asking God to make things bad so that his faith and relationship with God would mean more because it cost something.

We also talked about how faith is not authentic unless there a sense of desperation or discomfort. If we are completely self-sufficient and we do not feel as though the grace of God has delivered us, our faith will not mean nearly as much. This is the idea that Bonhoeffer talks about throughout "The Cost of Discipleship" when he urges us to throw off "cheap grace" and to live out a faith that calls us to "costly grace."

Current Listening: "Early Days" by Led Zeppelin.

Backwoods Bash was a lot of fun last night. There are a lot of great girls in Siggies and it was fun to just relax, laugh, and cook S'mores over trashcans. I am not sure what these next 8 days will hold, but I do know that I am surrounded by some of the best people in the entire world and I would not want to be anywhere else. How many times do I forget that?

1 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justn,
I can't think of a more satisfying way to spend our money than to have you surrounded by people who challenge and encourage your faith while you are preparing for your profession. And the bonus is that you're having alot of fun in the process! love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home