Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Not for all the Love in the World

I have been thinking about this day for about 2 years now. The day when I would be able to speak in Chapel about running for SA President. I don't mention that to a lot of people because it seems awfully pretentious, but nonetheless it was one of those things that crept up again and again in my mind.

Now that it has happened, I feel strangely at peace. I think the speeches and debate/question and answer session last night went as well as can be expected, and a lot of what is going to happen now is out of my hands. All I can do now is remind people to go out and vote, and trust that the best thing is going to happen for all of us. If you are an ACU student who reads this, go vote in the Campus Center this week. Polls will be open today until 5:00, Thursday from Chapel until 7:00, and Friday from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m.

Current Listening: "Pinkerton" by Weezer.

Aubrey Eyer is today's winner in the long-forgotten Song Title Lyric Contest. She correctly identified yesterday's title from the Damien Rice song "Cannonball." Aubrey wins a Robert E. Lee 2004 5A State Football Champs shirt to go along with her Southlake Carroll state champs shirt. Enjoy it Aubs.

3 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

Dude, I knew it was Rice. But my favorite songs of his have been co-opted, from "The Blower's Daughter" to "Cannonball," so now I find myself liking an artist known to more than a few people in the Key City, some of whom (you) possess good taste and some of whom do not.

Used To Think I Was Original, Now I Know I Was Fooling Myself,

Oldie Oldson

P.S. Good luck with the election. If I could commit voter fraud and tamper with the Internet, I'd cast many a ballot.

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Prosso said...

Hey man, I'm still sitting here on my deathbed. I just thought I'd let you know that I read your Optimist statement, and I'll join you in the "journey to the future!" Woot!

The band is the Thrills.

Justin I have three questions...

1) I don't if Carlson reads comments on this. If he does...Carlson, what did you think of Closer? It's a movie WITH Damien Rice all over it. (Did you know the Irish don't like him?)

2) This one is for Justin...do you think the new guys are kind of messing up the whole "we do things with class" part of GSP?

3) Is SA really buying a bunch of Blackberries? Why?

That's all. Sorry I asked so many questions, but like i said, I'm on my deathbed. There isn't much to do because live with Regis and Kelly isn't on for another hour.

Over and out,
Joey

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

I thought Closer was good, although almost unbearably hard to watch. It's ironic that Nichols bookended the film with "The Blower's Daughter," a song that had more emotional honesty in one verse than any of the characters in the film.

I know I haven't been there, but I get the feeling the new guys are losing the battle about doing things with class. As my time in club wore on, it seemed like we began to pledge smaller, crazier people, guys that wear medium-sized shirts and eat thumbtacks. Where did all the big, lazy guys go?

Good luck on your journey to the future. I've got a journey to the Xerox room planned.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home