Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'm Remembering Distant Memories, Recalling Other Names

Despite the fact that my sister's wedding is on Saturday (a wedding in which I will be participating as a groomsmen), I refused to actually go to a barbershop today for a haircut.

Was this refusal due to any sort of deep-seated attachment to my gorgeous flowing locks or any type of statement that I am attempting to make regarding my opposition to "the man"?

Most certainly not.

Instead, all I really needed was a trim over the ears, a trim in the back, and a little work on my side-burns. After a quick bit of mental calculus, I determined that this amount of repair work did not justify the payment of the current going rate for a haircut in the Greater Tyler Metropolitan Area...which brings me to the idea of the day:

Just as a large number of lawyers work on a billable hour system, why not have barbers work on a billable minute system?

You just need a quick touch-up over the ears that will only take 6 minutes but don't want to pay 12 bones for a full haircut? Guess what, my friend? Under the new billable minute system, you're only paying $4, give or take a few cents. You no longer need to pay full-price for a service that only required a fractional amount of labor.

This will also lead to the possibility of barbers going into full-scale stall mode to drag out the length of haircuts and thereby increase their billable hours. Furthermore, we will finally be freed from a wayward system that charges George Costanza and Fabio the same price for a haircut.

The billable minute system for barbers. With your help, we will succeed in making this dream a reality.

Yes we can, folks. Yes we can.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Tim K. said...

This change would certainly cause barbers to drag out their services way longer than necessary just as attorneys have throughout the years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. How about spending your time trying to fix the attorney billing system to make it more like the barbers. Set rate for set services

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Tim,

As you probably know, a number of lawyers are already utilizing a "flat fee" structure for billing, but that seems to be primarily in the transactional realm, where the attorney can reasonably estimate the amount of time that it will take to complete a given task.

For legal services where the exact extent of the work is usually unknown at the beginning, I think the billable hour system is going to last for quite awhile.

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if that is the case, you owe me around $10.00 dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home