Sunday, April 5, 2009

Squeezing Complicated Lives Into a Simple Headline

This girl I talk to frequently on the phone overheard the following statement yesterday in an outdoors store in Franklin, Tennessee:

"If I ever have kids, I know that I'm not letting them watch Sesame Street. That show teaches kids to judge."
What in the sweet name of the Children's Television Workshop does that mean, my friends?
  • Are we not supposed to judge our friends who live in trash cans and yell at pedestrians?
  • Should we just by idly as our friend overindulges on baked goods until his eyes roll around in his cookie-addled skull like two marbles?
  • Can we not tell that guy who's always wearing that cape and counting to 10 to shut his trap?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger Mark Osler said...

Totally true story:

It's 1997. I'm prosecuting a crack conspiracy case. One of my cooperators has the aka (nickname) of "The Count." For some reason, I never asked him why-- I just assumed that since he was the numbers guy, they called him that because he counted up the money.

So, the defense attorney is cross-examining this guy and asks why he is called "The Count." My cooperator turns red and then explains that they called him that because he would play with the packaged crack and say (in a perfect Count voice): "A von, a two, a three bags of crack cocaine! Ah ha ha ha!"

I think it kind of helped his credibility in the end.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Prof. Osler,

"Counting Crack Cocaine with the Count" was one of my favorite episodes of 1987.

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Tim Henderson said...

Just one of the joys of a postmodern world!

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't judge, you aren't American!

-Barack Obama

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Mr. President,

Thanks for taking time out of your day in Turkey to offer that insight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home