Thursday, April 2, 2009

His Answer Came in Actions, He Never Spoke a Word

After a spirited discussion in the comments section of yesterday's post regarding Tim's suggestion that I switch my baseball allegiances from the Rangers to the 'Stros, I'm going to link to the end-all, be-all source for the topic to allow everyone to know where I stand on the topic.

Islam has the Koran, Judaism has the Tanakh and the Talmud, and in the world of sports fandom, the disciples of Bill Simmons have "The Twenty Rules for Being a True Fan". This column may have been written over 7 years (Editor's Note: After noticing that at the top of the page, I now feel older than James Earl Jones in The Sandlot), but it still rings true for all who believe.

This column has been brewing for about six weeks, ever since a startling phone conversation with one of my Page 2 bosses (KJ, a Seattle native and die-hard Seahawks fan). We were chatting about the Patriots and Steelers potentially colliding in the playoffs, when KJ suddenly said, "At least if my Steelers lose, I'll be happy for you, because the Pats made it." Huh? My Steelers???

And this was how I found out that KJ -- my esteemed editor and friend, a good man, a father and a husband, the man who makes Page 2 run so smoothly -- was a Sports Bigamist. As it turns out, the Steelers are KJ's Second-Favorite Team, whatever that means. Apparently, as long as Pittsburgh isn't playing Seattle, he roots for the Steelers, but he doesn't root for the Steelers quite as hard as he roots for the Seahawks, and if both teams are doing well, he chooses the Seahawks, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about the Steelers, and I think I just lost control of my bowels.


Please read the column, take time to think about it, and then you will understand why I (must) support the only American League franchise to have never reached the ALCS.

Current Reading

Tree of Smoke: A Novel by Denis Johnson

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:11 AM, Blogger lance said...

As someone who was in your position last year, here's my two cents: First off, while you're still a Ranger fan, they are getting close to one of the Sports Guys rules for being able to leave. The front office HAS treated fans so poorly and not shown a committment to winning that it won't be long before all 11 of us Ranger fans can leave and we'd all be excused.
Since you're still holding on, I don't see any problem with getting Stros tickets and supporting them while you're there. It's a fun place to see a ballgame, their fan base is about 72% better than the Rangers fan base, they're actually in contention every now and then, and lets be honest, it's not like you're gonna have a lot of time to make the trek to Arlington to support the Rangers. Also, the two teams don't play each other than often, so it's no big deal. Keep up with the Rangers online, (They're NEVER on TV in Htown) catch a game or two if possible, but don't feel bad about adopting the Stros. It's not a bad organization to support.
Plus, for all of BS's wisdom, he is the guy who has held season tickets to the Clippers, of all teams, for like 6 years now.
The Stros are a fine team to root for, JScott, but if you EVER adopt the Texans, well then, we won't be seeing much of each other in the future, ya hear?

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Lance,

I understand that the front office in Arlington has been a bit wayward in past decade, but here's the thing: Right now, the Rangers have one of the top farm systems in baseball according to a number of reputable sources on the subject such as Baseball America.

That's obviously not a direct harbinger of success in the big leagues, but it does show that someone somewhere thinks Daniels, Hicks & Co. are doing things right.

The date I keeping hearing/reading is 2010 for a true chance to contend, but with the weakened state of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Greater Orange County this year, I think the Rangers could make a good showing this year in the A.L. West.

Finally, if I ever began to support the Texans with anything beyond mere attendance in Reliant for a game or two, I wouldn't blame you for ostracizing me.

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Mason said...

Good lord, the 'Stros will win about 65 games this year and have completely decimated their farm system to show for it. Give me Tom Hicks and Jon Daniels any day of the week and twice on Sunday before Ding Dong Dayton and Ed Wade. Don't even think of leaving what will be one of them most exciting, young franchises of the next five years for an old, broken down excuse for a contender. See you at Derek Holland's first start at the end of May.

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant Drayton I think.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger ALV said...

My franchise allegiance two cents: I've been a Mavs fan since the first Jason Kidd era. Yeah. I've stood by them through utter, utter crap, and my love for them will never waiver. BUT, I do have a "second favorite team" - The Suns. I always want the Mavs to win when they play each other, but... I always want Steve to do well. Also, I'm viciously anti-Spur, so I'll always root for whoever is playing them ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home