Friday, March 20, 2009

Where We Going to Find the Eyes to See a Brighter Day?

Congratulations to the lovely Ms. Amanda Pierce for correctly hinting at "Positive Jam" by The Hold Steady as the Song of the Day for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Due to its lyrical content, I like to think of "Positive Jam" as the lite/diet version of "We Didn't Start the Fire".

From pg. 340 of The Forever War by Dexter Filkins:

People asked me about the war, of course. They asked me whether it was as bad as people said. "Oh, definitely," I told them, and then, usually, I stopped. In the beginning I'd go on a little longer, tell them a story or two, and I could see their eyes go after a couple of sentences.


We drew closer to each other, the hacks and the vets and the diplomats, anyone who'd been over there. My friend George (Packer, of The New Yorker and author of The Assassins' Gate) an American reporter I'd gotten to know in Iraq, told me he couldn't have a conversation with anyone about Iraq who hadn't been there.
I told him I couldn't have a conversation with anyone who hadn't been there about anything at all.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

David Gray- Nightblindness

 

Post a Comment

<< Home