Friday, March 6, 2009

The Autumn Bells are Ringing, but They'll Just Have to Wait

Two things before I head off to the exotic locale of Nashville, Tennessee for that thing the kids like to call Spring Break (look for me in the Nashville-edition of Girls With Low Self Esteem):

1. Bill Simmons, the Sports Guy, provides a great take on the societal menace that is the Facebook Status Update:

Other than that, the comedy of status updates can be off the charts. Like my college classmate who sends out status updates so overwhelmingly mundane and weird that my buddies and I forward them to each other, then add fake responses like, "(Guy's name) … snapped and killed a drifter tonight" and "(Guy's name) … would hang myself if the ceilings in my apartment weren't too short."

It kills us. We can't get enough of it. We have been doing it for four solid months. And really, that's what Facebook is all about -- looking at photos of your friend's kids or any reunion or party, making fun of people you never liked and searching for old hook-ups and deciding whether you regret the hook-up or not. That's really it. All in all, I like Facebook.

2. Some blessed soul has been putting all of the old GSP Sing Song acts on YouTube. We're talking all the way back to the halcyon days of 1993. In the spirit of excess, here they are in all their glory.

1993-Referees

1995-Golfers

1996-Sheriffs

1999-Matadors

2000-Umpires

2001-Barbershop Quartet

2002-Huck Finn (bonus points to the first person who finds baby-faced Dan Carlson)

2003-The Beatles show is M.I.A. for some reason. I blame Demetrius Collins for this.

2004-Top Gun

2005-Travolta (I have no idea how this show won)

2006-Frogs (The show I enjoyed the most, and, in my opinion, is the best one on this list)

2007-Firemen

2008-Magicians (I'm just going to act as though I never saw this show)

2009-Peter Pan


Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

BATHTUB GIN!!!!!!!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger lance said...

Great stuff, I've always wanted to watch the old videos. While I'm partial to the more recent-2004 to the present-versions, I must say, the old guys did a much better job at the windmill. It always looks rushed from around 1996 on.

And yeah, 2005-yikes.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I probably shouldn't admit how many of these acts I know by heart -- and how many of them still get stuck in my head from time to time. Great stuff.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Luke Reeves said...

[tears up] Beautiful.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Alan said...

You should ask about the Iota Chi Alpha "Battleship" show of 2004 at Howard Payne. It's a wonder we didn't burn the house down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home