Monday, November 24, 2008

Through the Smoke and Rising Water Cross the Great Divide

In the spirit of adventure and new experiences, and thanks to this lovely young lady,
I will be attending my first NHL game on Saturday night at the Sommet Center in Nashville. I'm not sure that the founders of the NHL envisioned that their sport would one day be played in Music City, U.S.A., but I am sure that they would want me to be fully prepared for my experience as a fan of the sport.

So...lovers of the NHL and all things hockey:

What advice do you have for me in the days preceding my initial live encounter with the NHL?

Do you have any biting insults that I can dole out to the members of the Minnesota Wild as they take on the hometown Nashville Predators?

Any leftover "Jason" masks that I can get my hands on in a few days time?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Current Reading

Imperial Life in the Emerald City: Inside Iraq's Green Zone by Rajiv Chandrasekaran

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David Gray - Disappearing World

You just threw me a hanging curveball with this one, didn't you? Hockey... David Gray... Right in my wheelhouse.

Oof, the Wild? Not much that I can give you for that one... Should be a good game, though. Wild and Preds both seem to be pretty decent this year. I'm going to predict a Wild victory, though.

Here's hoping it's an excellent game! Too bad it can't be the Stars, Preds fans HATE the Stars for some reason.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Peter,

I'm thinking that the Preds-Stars enmity, at least from the fan perspective, is characteristic of the entire Tennessee-Texas rivalry.

I'm not sure if you've ever heard this, but folks from Tennessee enjoy pointing out how they "helped" us at the Alamo.

In this context, "helped" also doubled as "died".

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Prosso said...

Don't tuck in your shirt.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Dan Carlson said...

At my first (and so far only) game, I stood to head to the concession stand, since I was bored and wanted beer. People yelled at me because apparently standing or walking around or whatever while the puck is in play is a no-no.

The moral: Get drunk at home first.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Justin said...

If live hockey is so intense that it can drive Southern Californians to potential violence, I may be in way, way over my head.

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is the lovely young lady with you, Mr. Scott? Inquiring minds want to know!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Anonymous 6:18,

That lovely young lady is Ms. Amanda Pierce, my girlfriend. Quite the gal, I must say.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger ALV said...

Ooh, have a blast!! I've been to a few Stars-Predators games in my day - gotta love a bit of violence on ice :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home