Wednesday, November 5, 2008

'Til I Opened My Eyes and Walked Out the Door

I wrote the following on March 30, 2006 after hearing Yale Law Professor Stephen L. Carter speak on campus at ACU:

One of the strongest points that Carter made during his speech, and one that he has made for many years as the author of numerous books and articles on the topic of civility and integrity in American life, is that a democracy is not defined by the fact that we are able to vote for politician or party that we support, but when we vote, we are willing to lose.

As Carter noted,when Bill Clinton won the 1992 Presidential election, George H.W. Bush did not refuse to leave the White House, but instead participated in the inaugural ceremonies, because one of the hallmarks of democracy is having the explicit knowledge that our side could be defeated in an election and to still operate as a functional society.

...and I still believe that today.

Regardless of whether you voted for Barack Obama or John McCain, one of the things that makes America great is that after the campaigns are over, after one candidate makes a concession speech, and after the other candidate acknowledges victory, our nation is not torn apart by warfare. We undoubtedly still maintain disagreements with those on the other side of the political aisle from ourselves, and it would be foolish to think those would disappear in a day, but in spite of those disagreements, all Americans acknowledge that Barack Obama will be the 44th President of the United States.
In America, you can support someone that you have vehemently disagreed with, you can pray for guidance and wisdom for your former opponent as he now becomes your leader, and you can remain engaged in the process of continuing this experiment we call America instead of choosing the low road of cynicism, defeatism, and enmity.

Now, excerpts from President-elect Obama and Senator McCain's speeches last night:

Senator Obama and I have had and argued our differences, and he has prevailed. No doubt many of those differences remain. These are difficult times for our country. And I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face.

I urge all Americans ... I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.

Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that. It is natural. It's natural, tonight, to feel some disappointment. But tomorrow, we must move beyond it and work together to get our country moving again.

John McCain's concession speech, November 4, 2008.

Let us resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long. Let us remember that it was a man from this state who first carried the banner of the Republican Party to the White House - a party founded on the values of self-reliance, individual liberty, and national unity.

Those are values we all share, and while the
Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress. As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, "We are not enemies, but friends...though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection."

And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn - I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too.


Barack Obama's acceptance speech, November 4, 2008.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben Folds - Landed

"In America, you can support someone that you have vehemently disagreed with, you can pray for guidance and wisdom for your former opponent as he now becomes your leader, and you can remain engaged in the process of continuing this experiment we call America instead of choosing the low road of cynicism, defeatism, and enmity."


Very well said, sir.

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scotty J-

I've been known to pull crap out of my butt, but I believe I have pulled the biggest pile ever...please revert back to our great comment battles of June 13-14 of 2005.

I'm announcing my candidacy for 2016 right now if I'm that good at predicting the future!

Give me Lane Kiffin, or give me death!

-Coleman

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Coleman,

Those were truly great days, sir. Almost like January 4, 1999 for Phil Fulmer & Co. If there's any room to quibble here, it's the fact that you were a mere 4 years off on the Obama prediction, but then again, what's 4 years between friends?

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

that was written gracefully. well done, my dear.

funny that cole called it. can he call the election in 4 years? perhaps he can call your guy bobby "jo allegedly caused me to be a fan of" jindal.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

***Boring comment warning***

One of my favorite stories of American history is the story of the election of 1800. John Adams lost a nasty election to Thomas Jefferson. Then he willingly handed the keys to the White House over to Jefferson. My college prof said it was the first time in world history that power changed hands between rivals without a lot of bloodshed.

Well, there were the midnight appointments . . .

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Jeremy,

...and without those midnight appointments, we wouldn't have Marbury v. Madison.

That, my friend, would be a shame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home