Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Now They Make New Movies in Old Black and White

Among the many shortcomings of modern sports broadcasting, some of the most egregious offenders are the painfully awkward promotional spots that are wedged into breaks in the action.

Even though I cannot see Joe Buck's face when he is forced to extol the virtues of the next episode of "Hole in the Wall", I have no doubt that Joe's attorney tells his client to smile as he silently reviews the announcer's contract with Fox before each and every descent into that world of advertising purgatory.
All of this came to a head last Saturday afternoon when I heard the venerable Verne Lundquist say the following words during the CBS broadcast of the Kentucky-Alabama game:
"Tune in on Monday at 9/8 central for the latest hijinks of Charlie, Alan, and Jake on America's #1 Comedy, Two and a Half Men."

For a second the words washed over me without recognition, but as my mind changed gears from the Rules of Evidence to the Southeastern Conference on a Saturday afternoon, I came to a horrible realization:
What if Verne's right? What if Two and a Half Men really is America's #1 comedy? Is that the kind of world in which I want to live? Isn't that infinitely worse than an economy in turmoil or the fact that Shakespeare in Love beat Saving Private Ryan for the 1998 Best Picture Oscar?

My momentary fears subsided because I've only spoken to one other human being since Saturday who actually knows someone who has watched the show, but let me tell you, I was thrown for a loop there, folks.

I mean, that's almost absurd as telling me that Beverly Hills Chihuahua is currently sitting atop the box-office sales tally.

What's that?

You're serious?

If you'll excuse me, I need to head down to the fall-out shelter.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pencil Thin moustache? Jimmy Buffet?

- I shall reveal my identity tomorrow.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Anon. 6:32,

I will respect your desire for anonymity, but you must know, if you wish to receive the manifest benefits inherent in a Song of the Day win, I'm going to need that name...pronto.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

you really can't get over the whole "two and a half men" thing--or the whole idea that saving private ryan lost to shakespeare...

again, i'll agree with you about the former, but give me a break movie snob. shakespeare in love exhibited excellent acting and a solid story. i loved saving private ryan as well, but get real justin. i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one...

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Courtesy of the "Fight Club" narrator:

That old saying, how you always hurt the one you love? Well, look, it works both ways.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Sammie said...

that show is incredibly popular in Australia. It's on every day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home