Thursday, December 20, 2007

Nobody Was Really Sure If He Was From the House of Lords

Congratulations to Mr. John Middleton for correctly naming "Under the Bridge" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers as the Wednesday Song of the Day.


You'll also notice that when Mr. Middleton was naming the Song of the Day, he set aside a little time to take a pro-Chelsea F.C. potshot in my general direction. You might wonder why I would allow such insubordination on the normally respectable forum of the Running Down a Dream comments section, but don't worry my friends, I'm not going soft, it's just that John has immunity from attack based on the fact that we have gone to the same school twice: Whitehouse High School and Baylor Law respectively. If any of the rest of you pulled a stunt like that, well, let's just say it would not be pretty.

I greatly appreciate everyone's thoughts on the Chigurh v. Bourne debate. In the interest of coming to a more definitive conclusion I should have clarified the true goal of the matchup. If the question is best villain, the winner is obviously going to be Chigurh due to the fact that Bourne is the protagonist in his storyline. If the question is which one of the two would exit the no-holds barred grudge matchup envisioned by Joey, I have to go with Bourne. I realize that Chigurh may or may not have a pulse, and he may or may not have destroyed the oxygen tank industry as we have known it, but in the end, Bourne is walking out of that room alive. Why? Because he snagged Julia Stiles and Franka Potente, that's why.

In other news, Tom Tancredo is dropping out of the 2008 race for the White House. There are some who would ask if he was ever really "in" the race, but Tancredo's candidacy raises an interesting question: Is it worth it for a relative unknown to run for President if only because they are passionate about a single issue, in Tancredo's case immigration, and use a presidential campaign as an opportunity to raise awareness and generate public discourse on that issue?


First, as I have already stated, the immigration topic was already on the minds of many Americans, but the Tancredo campaign believes that despite their infetismal poll numbers in Iowa and New Hampshire, they accomplished a significant goal in pushing the national conversation on the issue of immigration and reform. In reality, is this not exactly what Steve Forbes did with the flat-tax issue when he ran in the Republican primaries in 1996 and 2000?

Forbes was obviously campaigning on his extensive personal wealth, but it would be very interesting to see who donated money to the Tancredo campaign and the percentage of his campaign funds that came from donors and the percentage which was derived from the fund-matching program administered by the Federal Election Commission. It seems unlikely that American voters, even those who are passionate about the immigration issue, would donate large amounts of money to a candidate that they ultimately did not believe had a puncher's chance in 2008.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger Cris said...

I actually met a guy the other day who is a professional soccer player in Sao Paulo. He is from Natal and his parents have been visiting our church. Rumor has it they're spending Christmas with the church at the beach (I know, my life is rough...) so I'll start dropping subliminal messages. Maybe I'll choke on my Christmas turkey and cough out "Liverpool" a few times. I'll see what I can do, Mr. Scott. I've still got your back down here in the southern America. Most of the kids I see are probably going to go the gun route, so we might need to start scouting a little older.

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Luke Reeves said...

Tancredo's a Coloradan. His moves are intentional and his intentions are moral. I just wonder why he's standing next to that big Texas star in your picture...

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger ALV said...

Is this my Christmas present??
A Day in the Life - The Beatles!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home