Monday, December 17, 2007

Lights Out Tonight, Trouble in the Heartland

I've written before about the vim and vigor that Gus Johnson brings to the announcing booth, but unfortunately it looks like he also brings something else along for the ride: a blatant disregard for the facts.

Today, in an interview posted on the blog Awful Announcing, Johnson gave the following quote:

"Things were difficult at one time, I remember working in Waco making $16K a year and eating at Del Taco everyday. They used to have this deal where you would get 4 tacos for $2.50 plus a drink and that was my thing, but it was fun. It’s always been fun, I’ve enjoyed this ride so much. I’ve been so fortunate to experience the things I’ve experienced."

I'm glad that GuJo, as he is called by Bill Simmons, took the time to mention the 254 in his interview, but Gus there's only one tiny problem with your heartfelt rags-to-riches story. There is not a Del Taco location in the entire state of Texas. Please consult the Del Taco website for visual confirmation that Del Taco only exists in Washington, Oregon, California, Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Michigan, Illinois, Missouri, and surprisingly, Tennessee.

What I really need in this situation is a Waco expert who can confirm or deny that a Del Taco location existed in our fair city in the early 1990's when Johnson was employed at KXXV-TV.

David Koresh, you weren't busy during the early 90's, I know you can answer this query.

Hello?

Is this thing on?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger Jeremy Masten said...

I can't guarantee it wasn't here, but, in my 19 years as a Waco resident (including the years in question), I don't recall ever having seen a Del Taco. Especially not a chain restaurant.

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Tim Henderson said...

Song is bruce springsteen - Badlands

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Tim Henderson said...

I do not care to know when, but Del Taco used to be in Texas. There is a reason they needed to leave as the production of their tacos was not to Texas standards. Maybe if you were older the memory would be there.

 
At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mikearonzini here

I was trying to find out the status of Del Taco in Texas, the company's website mentioned that there was a second "Del Taco" corporation that was located in Texas in the 1980's and early 1990's. It is not real celar on what happened to them, perhaps the taco quality was down? anyway, I can't get any confirmation that there was a Del Taco in Waco at the time Gus Johnson claims, but there were some in Texas at the time. They had a "killer" bean burrito, if you know what I mean.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home